Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Opinions sought
Opinions sought
I was on a conventional C-PAP machine that broke down while I was out of town. I found a local DME who sold me a used machine. I didn't know much about it other than it only cost me $400. I didn't really realize what kind of machine it was. It is a Philips Respironics Bi-PAP AutoSV. It was not set up properly by the DME but it did the job. I needed to have it repaired so I rented a machine while it was out for repair. My rental was a Resmed S9 Autoset. I ended up buying the rental because I was more comfortable with the Resmed. Now my Resmed is out for repair and I'm using the Philips while the Resmed is out for repair. Here is my dilemma:

Thanks to Sleepyhead I am able to compare the two machines. After researching it I realized what kind of machine I have in the Philips AutoSV. With the Resmed I get AHI's always under 5 but usually around 2.x or 3.x. With the Philips machine I consistently get AHI's of 0. Once in awhile I will get a .14 or some other low number. Mostly 0 night after night. 

From what I can see my therapy is better using AutoSV than regular APAP. The question I am throwing out there is this: What would you do? Fight to keep using AutoSV of settle for APAP? I am in the market for anew machine and don't know if insurance will cover the AutoSV. If the opinions are to go with what works best for me I will consider paying for it out of pocket. Thanks for all opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Opinions sought
Hi jallain,
Insurance probably won’t approve ASV, since you tolerated the CPAP machine.
Hang in there and hopefully, someone will come along with more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is to use what you feel most comfortable with.  If you have complex apnea, the Phillips Auto SV may be the better choice.  

As trish states, insurance may not pay for it if you can achieve an AHI <5 with an apap.
They don't look at how you feel, they only look at numbers.  By numbers, I mean how much it will cost them.

If you are self paying, you may want to start checking the cost of the Auto SV.
Check out Supplier #2.  They sell low hour used equipment and also open box new units.

It would be interesting to see a #SleepyHead screenshot while using both machines.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends what is wrong with you, to what is the best machine. you need to put the charts up from the cpap and see why it's at 5
The machine that works for you is the best. That may well be a the cpap if it is set up right.

if you have no CHF an asv is ok, With an AHI <5, the insurance won't buy you one, so it will be out of pocked and may be unneeded
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F&P SleepStyle Opinions zzz1 0 180 02-01-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: zzz1
  2 weeks on new ResMes ASV, need some opinions/ advice RickEiben 32 2,769 08-17-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: RickEiben
  Advice sought - Little improvement after 12 months of CPAP use IntrepidCosmonaut 7 757 06-10-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  sfr79's Treatment Thread / Analysis, Opinions, Suggestions Welcomed sfr79 9 1,212 01-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Symptoms] ian93 story - Looking for opinions ian93 3 571 11-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Opinions wanted - Stop or Continue PAP after wake up B1Sailor 14 1,288 10-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Opinions on Settings Help Resmed VAuto Johnnyde94 15 1,275 08-02-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Johnnyde94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.