Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spare machine or wait?
Spare machine or wait?
I tend to have parts to fix things on hand instead of waiting until it breaks or have an extra of things in case I need it. I haven't really thought about doing that with my Vauto since it's brand new but now that part of me is creeping in. I'm debating if I should buy another one in case this one craps out for some reason. But then I wonder if buying another one and putting it in storage would be like buying another cell phone and putting that in storage. If the machine lasts 5 years would the one in storage be obsolete by then? I know technology changes and advances all the time but I don't know if pap machines follow that pattern. I'd hate to buy another machine now "just in case" and then something "bigger and better" come out next year.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Spare machine or wait?
You can sleep without the machine if this one dies for whatever reason. This one is on warranty and should last around 5 years, buying a spare now doesn't make any sense. Maybe something to consider once you get to 5 years and know you will need a replacement soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2022, 08:25 PM)Geer1 Wrote: You can sleep without the machine if this one dies for whatever reason. This one is on warranty and should last around 5 years, buying a spare now doesn't make any sense. Maybe something to consider once you get to 5 years and know you will need a replacement soon.

That's kind of what I was thinking but I read a lot of threads, not just this forum, and see a lot of people telling other people "You need a backup machine"...so I started wondering if I should have one. I need to spend less time browsing forums.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Having a backup machine is a good idea.  Only if you are moving to a newer model and your older one hasn't exceeded blower hours.  Or, you come across one that is exceptionally priced.  This day and age, the latter option is as scarce as a good-natured hornet.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I share the same way of thinking in terms of needing a spare machine!

In life, I have always tried to have two of anything that I need if it is important, well, apart from wives that is, one is quite enough!

In business that has always served us well, and when something critical has gone Kaput, we always had another one on standby to take over. That policy has saved our bacon many times when very busy, and avoided a prolonged run around, usually when we could least afford either the disruption or would have been short of funds right when it was needed.

Probably explains why I have a curious pile of pre-used ResMed S10 units to play with, to back up our two main S10 units, just in case!

My only contribution would be to say get a 2nd unit, but look out for a bargain. I suspect that a new one as a spare, may return most of the investment if you later took it apart and sold off the main components as 100% working unused Spares. By then there would be many with ageing machines looking for key components, so it may bring back a fair percentage of its original cost that way. Even if lightly used, if the hours are low and the parts well cleaned, then there should be a ready market for them.

It does all depend on your nature. If you like having a spare, as I do, then it's the sort of cost you won't feel bad about. Whereas others who are more pragmatic, may well be right that the extra cost isn't necessary.

But then they don't have to live with that urge that some people have: the need to tinker and have a pile of spares to clutter the place up with!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a backup Vauto, but my primary machine has about 20K hours now. I keep the spare at the cottage so I don't have to move my primary machine when we go there. If you find a deal you can live with, buy a backup, but be aware that machines are in very short supply right now and prices are high. Once market conditions normalize, the price of lightly used machines should come back to earth.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure I can wait and see what prices do. My machine is basically still 'new'...not 1000 hrs yet. However, if a machine is going to start billowing smoke and burst into flames when it's turned on it will be mine.  Too-funny 
That just seems to be the type of luck I have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind a backup machine is just to tide you over until you can repair or replace that primary machine.  
Therefore if your primary is an AutoSet, a CPAP will do as a temp backup.
Without question a back up that is equivalent to your primary is best.

If you have questions, ask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,166 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] CPAP circuit board testing with voltmeter? MAchine died and 4 month wait to be seen! agunslinger 2 683 04-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: agunslinger
  [CPAP] Newly diagnosed and don't want to wait. mfco7 6 923 02-23-2022, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  [CPAP] Diagnosed AHI 112, use recalled DS1 or wait several months for new CPAP PhiladelphiaCollins 8 1,038 02-21-2022, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Wait Time for ResMed Equipment Replacement jerrydaw 3 1,051 01-30-2022, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Helena

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.