Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimising Treatment - Help interpreting OSCAR
Optimising Treatment - Help interpreting OSCAR
Hi everyone -

New to the forum and already learning a lot. 

I've been under treatment for about six-ish months and been pretty successful so far, now just trying to see if I can "optimize" a bit. I finally downloaded OSCAR and am hoping for some input or suggestions on anything you see where I can improve my treatment.

The AHI is a bit above average for me, but I've "levelled out" around 11 or so and can't seem to get it consistently lower. My pressure is 12-20 and I'm using EPR.  Full-face mask that I'm pretty happy with and generally have low leaks.

Let me know if there are other charts I should post or information to provide!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimising Treatment - Help interpreting OSCAR
What is your EPR set to?
How long is your ramp set?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is at 3 right now, it was at 2 for most of the last six months.

Ramp starts at 4 and increases to full pressure over 20 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do want to know the 2 questions I asked BUT I believe your main problem is positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway. There are no settings that can help this, you must find out and stop getting in that position. 

The main reason you are in that position is what is called chin tucking. When your chin goes down to your sternum. Sometimes it is your sleeping on your back or sleeping on to high of a pillow. 

If it is not that simple you WILL need to get a collar. Please find the link I have at the bottom of the post. It shows people without a collar and the same people with a collar - the difference is huge.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
This is incredibly helpful! That also tracks, I sleep on my back as a default AND I've lately been propped up on a couple pillows that I got used to while I had an ear infection earlier this year.

Can you help me understand what you saw in the charts to tease that out [I believe you! Just want a greater understanding of what's going on]
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can shut off the ramp. You are getting NO therapy during ramp and if you need to get up at night the ramp starts again. If you get up 2 times that is one hour you are not getting any therapy. 

Move the EPR to 3. EPR is exhale pressure relief and lowers the exhale pressure to make it easier to breath out. It Also helps with flow limits and yours are higher than we would like to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
Let's start with the obvious, You have a positional apnea and no amount of pressure is going to fix it. Others with a similar issue have fixed it essentially overnight. What is most likely happening is t=-you are tucking your chin. Either change your pillows up, if using multiple try 1, or a flatter pillow. If that doesn't work try a soft cervical collar, Seet the link in my signature.
Fix that then we can really clean things up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Agreed, there's a pattern of positional Apnea. If you look at this chart you posted, see the places where there's one Apnea flag followed by others very closely together? Look at the wiki on soft cervical collar and positional Apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thankfully once I'm in bed I'm pretty much out for the night, but I can experiment with turning off the ramp.

I'll have to read up on flow limits on the wiki - thank you @staceyburke, @Gideon, and @SarcasticDave94 for giving me somewhere to start - I'll give your suggestions a shot and let you know how the next few weeks go Smile

-tsp
Post Reply Post Reply
Best wishes on your successful Apnea fight.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 39 10 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 97 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 138 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.