Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimising Treatment - Help interpreting OSCAR
RE: Optimising Treatment - Help interpreting OSCAR
Thank you! As mentioned even getting down to this level [from 100+ AHI on my intake test] has been pretty incredible, so now it's just the "competitive spirit" in me wanting to do even better. I actually "fired" my primary care doctor over this due to her initial reluctance/insistence that I could just sew a tennis ball to the back of my shirt/it'd go away if I just lost ten pounds. 

[apparently had a little venting to do]
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are smaller apnea. If you look at the bottom of the post you can see how apnea is Categorized. If they are high they disrupt sleep, stop you from getting into a deeper sleep or even wake you up.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep that's typical of the joker Dr. McQuack types. You stick around here for a bit and our members will teach you enough to self advocate, your other docs will go on vacation.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny enough, I saw my current doctor as a walk-in for a totally unrelated matter and within about three minutes he had clocked my loud breathing and asked if I had ever gone for a study. So good(ish) ones exist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Positional apnea is probably part of the issue but I think there is more than that at play. I think your flow limit and snore are maxing pressure (your average pressure was 19.3 cm indicating it was maxed most of the night) but the high pressure isn't helping reduce your flow limits or snore and instead is just making it more difficult for you to breath.

I would try limiting your max pressure to 12 cm (with your current min of 12 that means your pressure will stay fixed at 12 cm). This will either decrease AHI, flow limits etc or it will make them worse but the only way to know what will happen is to try it.

Feel free to try a night or two of different pillow arrangements, sleeping on side etc first to see the difference that position makes before trying this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2021, 08:44 PM)teaspoonofsugar Wrote: This is incredibly helpful! That also tracks, I sleep on my back as a default AND I've lately been propped up on a couple pillows that I got used to while I had an ear infection earlier this year.

Can you help me understand what you saw in the charts to tease that out [I believe you! Just want a greater understanding of what's going on]

Positional apnea is usually found by looking at the O and H charts. “Clustered in either or both indicates positional apnea. This is not 100% but yours is very likely to be positional.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 40 11 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 97 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 138 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.