Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimizing Dreamstation Auto
RE: Optimizing Dreamstation Auto
Hello mnemon81,

I want to start out by saying I am not a professional sleep technician or anything like that. Looking at the chart data, you might have a mask leak or an issue where your mouth opens when you fall asleep. That was a situation I had and when I finally used enough Cover-Roll stretch tape from Leukoplast to keep my lips closed, it made a difference in the APAP machines ability to maintain pressure. The Cover-Roll tape I use comes in a 2” x 10 yard roll.

I also had reliable results by closing the gap on the min/max pressures. I'm using 10 to 12 with an ERP of 1 and getting very good results. Anyway, that's my 2-cents. It seems the closer you get to the pressure you need the better the algorithm works. It doesn't seem to handle large swings in pressure very well.

The taping idea seemed weird at first, but it works. The other option would be a chin strap and Knightsbridge Dual Band Anti Snoring Chin Strap is supposed to do a decent job.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello enjoysleep59!

Yes, I do sometimes open my mouth during sleep, I hope sleeping with a soft cervical collar will address that issue as well.
Some time ago I was thinking about using tape but got a bit worried to suffocate as I do get a blocked nose from time to time Smile
Do you tape whole lips or just a wee strip in a middle for safety?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a 2" by 3" or 4" piece of tape. I was cutting a small slit , but I found I was puffing through that and stopped. I have a full face mask just in case my nose is stuffy, but so far I haven't needed to use it. I dog ear a corner of the tape to make it easy to pull off if I need to. So far, I've had no issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two more nights with a New collar.
I initially purchased VELPEAU Neck Brace VP0204 in size L and 3" in height. After a few nights, I noticed that I could do with a bit more height but lower circumference as it was a bit too thick on my neck (i sleep on a back) as the sides were overlapping.
I bought the same model but in size M and 3" in height. Perfect fit and it seems that my stats improved. See below

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Outstanding results. The clusters of snores and events are gone, your pressure has settled down and hopefully you're sleeping better with more comfort. Well done sticking with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I sleep well now, initial euphoria after the switch from CPAP to APAP wore off but I am more rested and focused during the day. I don't use the Ramp function anymore with APAP as it seems to be breathing with me instead of just forcing air like CPAP (same minimum pressure and exhale relief) and I can fall asleep easily. Has anyone else stopped using Ramp after the switch?

Thank you Sleeprider for all your help Smile
Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Most users quit using ramp after they have adapted to the therapy. I start with a bilevel pressure of 13/9 and don't have any issues with the initial blast of air. If you want the euphoria back, switch to Resmed with the next machine. The EPR feature is a covert bilevel, and is really comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,200 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  New User - Help Optimizing Therapy Jakeb24 3 259 03-07-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,476 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
Sad Lygodia Therapy Thread: Optimizing My Airsense 10 lygodia 43 2,724 02-09-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: lygodia
  Need help optimizing and figuring out data variability please fert 8 537 01-21-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: fert
  Optimizing APAP settings meticulousdonut 3 341 01-16-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: meticulousdonut
  Need advice regarding optimizing CPAP litodorito 3 345 01-14-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.