Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimizing aPap settings
Optimizing aPap settings
I'm using a Respironics Dreamstation since may 2017 but I'm still struggling to get good results. One problem is that I don't get any support from a knowledgeable doctor. I have read a lot of info on this forum the last couple of months and I'm impressed with the level of knowledge.

I started with a pressure of 5 and quickly changed it to auto 5-10. After a while I changed it back to a fixed setting because I had many problems with higher pressures which caused awakenings and some centrals. After a couple of months my body adapted to the xpap and when I reached the (fixed) pressure of 9 my ahi got below 5 on some nights. Because I'm still tired and my ahi's are mostly between 3 and 7 I was hoping for some advice on how to optimize the xpap settings.

These are my questions:
- What changes can I make to improve the therapy.
- Would aflex or cflex help and which settings would help considering the need of a minimum pressure of 9 to get the ahi below 5.

Here's the screenshot of last night (scored a reasonable 3.37 without much snoring):
[img]h ttps://i.imgur.com/ZQ7GG0G.png[/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimizing aPap settings
Look at your sleepyhead charts and see what the 95% pressure is at then set your minimum pressure to 2cm below that. Look at your max pressure and set 2cm above that. If you use C-flex you might want to bump the minimum pressure up 1 cm more for that. I would't use A flex.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your quick reply.

If I'm right the difference between cflex and aflex is the following:
- aflex: pressure relief at the end of inspiration and start of expiration
- cflex: pressure relief at the end of expiration

Is the advice to use cflex based on experience of users or is it based on some research?
Post Reply Post Reply
Aflex reduces the pressure both on inhale and exhale. Cflex reduces the pressure just on exhale. Most people use cflex as it makes it easier to breath out.

I'm not sure way anyone would use Aflex. It amounts to just dropping your pressure 1cm all around. You don't need flex to do that.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You also need the leaks fixed. It looks like you may also be mouthbreathing. The forum can help there, some need to move to a mask that also covers the mouth.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MisterY,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
How can you tell the mouth-breathing. Is that the flat top in the leak rate.

I know that when the pressure gets higher I'm having some trouble with a dry mouth. I would think that it's also a matter of getting used to that higher pressure. However I will have look at a chin strap or even a cervical collar.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the flat top on the increased leaks is a dead giveaway for mouth leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
You have brought your therapy a long way, and I think you have found a pretty effective pressure range. Your residual events are mostly hypopnea, with some obstructive apnea, and you have some flow limitations.  Flex only provides up to 2-cm of pressure relief, and it is proportional to expiratory flow.  Try using Cflex at 2 and see how it feels.  You can experiment with Aflex, but I was not a fan of it when I used Philips machines.  Your pressure range seems fine, and I would reserve judgement on any changes until after seeing how you respond to Flex. 

With results like this, I think you would like bilevel which is more comfortable and can be effective in specifically addressing hypopnea with pressure support.  Although the pressure difference of something like Flex is very limited, it may help here. If you continue to feel tired and have events near 5 AHI, it might be worth talking to your doctor about BiPAP/VPAP. We can talk more about it if things don't improve, meanwhile good luck, and great job on the chart.

[Image: ZQ7GG0G.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I switched the apap to cflex mode 2 and it was horrible. I woke up at 5am with an ahi of almost 10. After that i switched back to cflex mode 1 because I need a good night sleep.

My question is, what is the difference between cflex mode 1 and 2?

[Image: q5jeV]

Note: I did limit the high pressure to 13 because 15 will cause lots of centrals. I'm not used to it (yet).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.