Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimizing treatment
Optimizing treatment
Hello there!

I have been using CPAP for about 6 years now and even though CPAP treatment
has helped alot I still feel like there is room for improvement regarding fatigue, energy levels and
cognitive symptoms.

I was wondering if anyone with more expertise than my self could evaluate my charts.
I have attached charts from 1 night with a little better than average results.

My average ahi over the last year is 4.58. I guess this would be considered acceptable since it
is below 5 and maybe a further improvement wont be noticable at all but why not optimize if possible.

From what I've read some of the OA's look like they are positional?

Do you see any other possible issues?

Very interested to hear your opinions Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimizing treatment
The example provided from February 1 shows you're using a Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto at a wide range of pressure 4.0 to 18.0 at A-Flex level 3. Your median pressure is about 7.5 and 95th percentile pressure is 10.2 cm. Your apnea are expressed as clusters of obstructive events that typically arise with pressure less than 7.5.

These results suggest that there may be some positional issues at play (chin-tucking) due to the clustering of events, but definitely show your minimum pressure is too low. The Philips machines are especially slow to respond to obstructive cues and only rises after snores and obstructive events are already occurring. It's important that the minimum pressure be high enough to avoid this. My personal experience with these machines is that Flex levels of 1 and 2 are better than at 3 where I think they have sync problems. You might get away with these settings on a Resmed, but not this one. Finally, your machine is recalled and should be changed.

My recommendation for changes in settings is to use minimum pressure 8.0, maximum pressure 12.0, A-Flex or C-Flex at 2. Read our wiki about positional apnea in the Optimizing Therapy wiki here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea If higher pressure alone does not cut your AHI in half then we can still look at some aids or mitigation measures for chin-tucking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I reached out to the clinic that issued the machine to get it swapped.

I tried to change settings on the machine but found out that the settings are locked. I wrote the clinic if they would be willing to unlock it.
I will try out your recommandations once they do.

I understand your point about the minimum pressure but wouldnt lowering of the maximum pressure possibly mean that the machine cant deliver the pressure needed? What are the pros of limiting the maximum pressure?

My 95 percentile pressure is on average a little higher than this example should I go with this maximum pressure instead of 12?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepingsleepy, do you have the setup manual, or have you tried this? https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Now the settings for pressure min 8 -  max12 and A-flex 2.
Excited to see how the charts will look now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck and hope you have great results. I have to setup and post my screens for optimization myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 21 747 Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 176 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 156 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 247 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 680 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] TiredFGO - Treatment Thread TiredFGO 1 138 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 161 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.