Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimum AHI ?
Optimum AHI ?
Hello

I am new here ; I have been using an S9 Autoset for 2 months .

My AHI went down from 45 to 2.0 during the first month , then to 1.5 the second month.

I understand that ideally AHI should be under 5 ;but is there much difference between 2,0 , 1.5 , 1.0 ? or is it marginal ?

Many thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimum AHI ?
Hi migos,

Welcome to the Apnea Board Forum. It sounds like you have had some really good results from your treatment. Going from 45 events to 1 or 2 an hour is an excellent result. There is little difference between 1 and 2 events an hour. Using Sleepyhead you can try to identify the type of events (Obstructive or Central -Hypopnea or Apnea). You can then see if any of your settings need fine tuning. However with results such as yours most observers would just celebrate your success.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. FWIW, my sleep doc says any AHI <5 translates to no added risk factor.

From your report, you are doing extremely well. Congratulations!

-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for your answers.
I will sleep better!
MG
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi migos,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a great start, keep up the good work.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 11:39 AM)migos Wrote: Many thanks for your answers.
I will sleep better!
MG
AHI does matter but in order of importance, sleeping better comes first
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Should I look at average AHI or should every night by under 5 AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on the person. Under 5 AHI is technically "treated" but IMO anything near five means something in settings needs to be tweaked. I think an AHI of 0 - 2 is perfectly fine for most people.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2016, 04:04 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Should I look at average AHI or should every night by under 5 AHI?

I'd say go by average. You can always have a bad night, even in a long series of good ones. Sometimes you'll figure out why that night was bad; sometimes you won't. I wouldn't stress over it, unless it turns into a trend, at which point you'd need to revisit your settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
When my AHI is over 1.0 it is usually entirely due to sleep/wake noise during the last hour. I do not worry about that.

High AHI that results in SpO2 drop can actually damage things over time, leading to, for example, chronic kidney disease. (according to my nephrologist)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding optimum settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto vinitwins 17 3,282 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: vinitwins
  Optimum O2 percentage RockyBob 14 5,782 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.