Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Options sought - Dx and Treatment of OSA
RE: Options sought - Dx and Treatment of OSA
(12-15-2016, 10:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I know of a number of people, including family members, that are aware they should deal with a probable sleep apnea issue...but they don't. I think there is plenty of awareness, but acknowledging this physical problem, and accepting a blower and mask for life is just not how they want to see themselves. Lots of people need to lose weight, but you don't see them actively changing lifestyles either. I think there is a lot of awareness, but resistance to acceptance or to take action to resolve the problem.

Thanks for the input! I would agree that there's an acceptance problem - regardless of whether it's greater or lesser than the awareness problem, it's a big problem. On the forum here we know that >50% (last I read) of people who are diagnosed and prescribed PAP treatment don't stick with it. Nevermind the people who never get to that point even when they know they have a problem. To some extent that may be attributable to lack of awareness of the long term consequences, I suppose, but a lot of it is plain old stubbornness/pride/laziness.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way I approach this issue is to speak quite openly about my sleep apnea when appropriate, to try to dispel some of the stereotypes that still surround this diagnosis.

I'm a petite woman, 5ft tall and weigh in at 108 pounds. This in itself highlights the fact that ANY ONE of us can have OSA. Unfortunately media and medical stereotypes still focus on the "obese, tired, snoring male"

My particular interest is how post-menopausal women rapidly catch up to men in terms of OSA rates, and how doctors seem relatively unaware of this, rarely thinking of testing women for OSA when we complain of night sweats and racing hearts, along with insomnia years after the menopausal transition.

When the occasion arises, and the opportunity presents itself, I try to talk to my friends and acquaintances who complain of these symptoms, and urge them to get tested for OSA.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Timur you made me think of a girl that I know.

She has night sweats and racing heart, along with insomnia years after the menopausal transition. Slim and active I did not think of OSA. I will address it.

Information exchange on this forum is great.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 38 8 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 274 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 194 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,985 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.