Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oracle Oral Mask Issues
Oracle Oral Mask Issues
I want to share with you some experience of using Oracle oral mask HC452 and would appreciate comments. I have been using ResMed Swift FX nasal pillow until recently when I started to have sinus problems. I then switched to Oracle oral mask and found the following issues:

1) With the same pressure setting as Swift FX, the Oracle gives ridiculously high AHI readings. At 12 cmH2O, I had less than 2 for Swift FX but the reading shoots up to over 50 for Oracle oral. I had a hard time figuring out but suspect the "non rebreathing valve" fitted to the end of the Oracle flexitube may be doing it. Last night, I tried the Oracle without the valve ( pressure = 7 cmH2O ) but the AHI problem persists. Tonight I will try 12 cm and see what happens.

2) The Oracle also gives me a very dry mouth in the morning. I know this is a common problem and have set humidity to maximum, but is there some kind of relief by medication?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oracle Oral Mask Issues
Biotene gel and XyliMelts lozenges can help alleviate dry mouth. They are found on the toothpaste aisle.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I have proof that either the Oracle Mask or the DreamStation gives fake AHI information. Today I lied down on bed for an hour staying awake all the time making sure I breathed normally all the time. The SleepyHead chart however shows that I had 34 OAs and one H which means that I stopped breathing for about 18% of the time. This appears to be a big problem for Oracle Oral Mask users. I wonder why there are no comments from them!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think we have many Oracle Mask users here, but I could be wrong.

Post a screenshot from SleepyHead, include the following graphs: Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Mask Pressure, Leak Rate.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Screenshot (46) is a SleepyHead chart for ResMed FX Nasal Pillow. Screenshot (47) is for Oracle Oral Mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor doesn't have a clue about what's happening! My best guess is that Oracle Oral is not designed for data collection. If that is the case, what should I base on to set the parameters (pressure etc ) for optimal results?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd go back to your old mask and check the results again just to make sure it's the mask. If it is I'd throw it away.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure graph reflecting the high AHI with the Oracle mask shows that you were using a Flex Setting, while the graph with the lower AHI using the nasal pillow mask shows no Flex setting.  

Have you tried the Oracle without a Flex setting?

I doubt that would account for such a big difference though, but you never know.  Other than that, I can’t explain.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I used the Oracle for 3 1/2 hours at 10 cm with no CFlex. The AHI results are a little better than previous nights but not good by any standard. You will notice that under the OA clusters, there is always a small EPAP spike which means that the exhaling pressure is a little higher than the set pressure ( 10 cm in this case ) in that area. I don't know what this means. It is worth mentioning that there is a non rebreathing valve connected to the end of the mask flexitube. It acts as a vent for the air breathing out so the CO2 cannot be inhaled back. The exhaust vent ( close to the mouth piece ) for this mask is small. I put my palm over this vent and can hardly feel any air coming out during operation.

Inspite of the mysterious AHI reading problem, the Oracle does serve me well. I feel refresh in the morning and it is a great relief for my sinus problem. My nose is getting a much needed break so I am not in a hurry to throw away the mask.I thought about replacing it with a full face mask. But after reading some complaints from this forum, I realize that it is a new can of worms ( air leaks, red marks on face etc ).

My sleep doctor advised me to sleep without CPAP for 2 weeks and then go back to the old nasal pillow when the nose gets better. I really don't know what to do at this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel good in the morning keep using it. It's better than not using the machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 220 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 113 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 159 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 220 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.