Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oracle mask
Oracle mask
Has anyone tried this oral mask? I got one prior to nasal passage surgery, but the pressure is far too high. Do they require readjusting the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oracle mask
Links to products on the manufacturer's site are allowed. Just not links to retailers.
http://www.fphcare.com/osa/mask-solution...-mask.html

Wow, that's an odd mask.

As for the pressure change, I'm not sure, but I would assume not. There would not be for the hybrid masks (part nasal pillow, part oral mask).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I must be missing something. What prevents the air from going out the nose? Maybe you can only use this mask if your nasal passages are 100% blocked?!?! Huhsign
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2012, 03:11 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: I must be missing something. What prevents the air from going out the nose? Maybe you can only use this mask if your nasal passages are 100% blocked?!?! Huhsign

Nasal plugs or surgical tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2012, 03:11 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: I must be missing something. What prevents the air from going out the nose? Maybe you can only use this mask if your nasal passages are 100% blocked?!?! Huhsign
Nose plugs included with the mask but it can leaks. It can be alternative to full face mask for some people with nose blockage problems.
The biggest aggravation that most people seem to report is drooling and dry mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gak, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! AS far as that mask you mention in the post, I' don't know anything about it but there are lots of masks out there so that's not surprising. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I've never seen a straight oral mask before. Seems like a lot of things to overcome to make that work. I wake up sometimes with a dry mouth even if I show very low leakage! Not to mention I would be afraid nasal plugs would come flying out and I would shoot my wife in the head with a nasal plug! Dang, she would be mad! I guess since they make them there must be a market for them. Sorry Gak, I can't answer your original question.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
The nose plugs are not required once you get used to it. In theory, at least.

There is sort of a valve at the back of your nose. Imagine trying to blow up a balloon. You have air pressure in your lungs and your mouth, but no pressure comes out of your nose.

Once you put it on and manage to close this valve, the pressure tends to keep it closed, although not everyone is successful in making this happen.

The oral mask has some very big advantages.

First, and most obvious, you don't have to breathe through your nose if you're clogged or have other nose problems.

If you can keep your nose "closed," there's very little opportunity for leaks because of the way it fits on the mouth.

More importantly, there is no pressure in your nose. You don't cause sinus pressure problems, ear problems, nasolacrimal duct problems, etc. For people with certain problems, it can avoid a lot of problems.

Now for the drawbacks:

It may be hard to adjust to having it in and on your mouth. If you don't get the right size interface, you may have pressure at bad places. It's important to NOT overtighten the adjustment for where it grabs your lips. You need to let the air inflate your lips into the mouthpiece and get a seal that way.

It tends to dry you out more, even with humidification.

The lack of airflow through your nose can be disturbing. I think you may have problems if you have nasal drainage and need the mucous to go down your throat like it normally does.

I believe there is also some feedback to your nervous system from airflow in the nose. I've heard this affects breathing and heartbeat. Of course, someone with a blocked nose would have these problems anyway.

I tried one for a bit. I did not have any problems with leakage out the nose once I figured out how to do it. Basically, I just put it on, turned on the CPAP and then sort of blew back into the machine gently like I was blowing up a balloon. Then I sort of told myself to "hold it" like that and relaxed, letting my "valve" relax and stay closed.

It dried me out too much, even with humidification, and I think I had nasal drainage problems. I never really got used to it enough to really sleep much with it.

It could really be a godsend to people with certain problems that can't be solved by other types of mask. It seems to me that it's the only mask that won't inflate your ears, sinuses, or nasolacrimal ducts.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you use the same pressure setting as with a nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2012, 09:21 AM)gak Wrote: Did you use the same pressure setting as with a nasal mask?

I didn't change the pressure, but I never really slept with it that much. I don't see any particular reason it would need a different pressure, but it's possible.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Oracle mask paperboy 0 412 03-20-2023, 07:56 AM
Last Post: paperboy
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  [Equipment] Fisher & Paykel Oracle 452 Oral CPAP Mask for BPAP kakadyi 3 750 09-16-2022, 05:23 AM
Last Post: kakadyi
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.