Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oral Appliance for UARS
Oral Appliance for UARS
Hello to everyone!

I've been suffering from awful EDS for around 5 years now, and was diagnosed with UARS about a year ago. (More on that in another post.) After doing a lot of reading, I decided on a MAD, though I had to pay $3300 out of pocket as, I'm sure everyone here knows, insurance doesn't pay for UARS treatment. 

3 months after getting in and doing small adjustments each night, I'm about 65% of the way through the given range of adjustment--meaning it extends my jaw ~2/3 of however far it's able. This puts considerable pressure on my teeth and obviously my jaw as well, though I find that if I 'warm' my jaw joints/tendons a bit (hot yoga works here), it does wonders for that part. Also, I can generally 'find' a position (usually by pulling my jaw even further forward), where it hurts my teeth a bit less. 

Problems here have kept me from wearing it every night, or for the entire night. I know I *should* be wearing it all night every night, so no need to discuss that bit. I'm curious about the following. While I know every person's situation/issue is unique:

1. For anyone else that uses a MAD, at what point did you start to notice improvement in your sleep/EDS?

2. And for everyone else, if I sleep a full 8 hours with it (as I have 6-8 times) and noticed ZERO improvement, doesn't it make sense that I begin to doubt whether such a device is going to be useful for me? I know it "takes a while," but it doesn't make sense to feel NO difference, or even feel worse the next day and expect it to one day reverse course and 'start working.' It either opens up the airway to reduce resistance or it doesn't. Right?

I'm working with a sleep doctor and dentist. Just looking for feedback from the community here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oral Appliance for UARS
You might find it helpful to get a good pulse oximeter to see what your O2 sats look like. Those might show how you're doing.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi modernsportscar,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't use a dental device so I am unable to help you.
Hang in there for ore responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep us posted, good luck.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 96 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 991 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 131 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 81 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.