Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oral Devices
Oral Devices
I was just wondering if anyone has tried using these oral devices that I've seen on TV advertisements. My wife says I still snore with my CPAP and nasal mask. I think it's because my sinuses stay so screwed up these days that I can't breathe good through my nose at night. I think it's rendering my CPAP machine almost useless.

I was thinking of trying one of those devices you place in your mouth in conjunction with my CPAP therapy. Or, if it works well enough, do away with the CPAP machine altogether. Either that of I'll have to get me a full face mask again. Man I HATE those things! Anyone have any insight on these oral devices?
You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oral Devices
The problem with oral only devices is there's no way to tell if they are actually working. You'd have to wear an oximeter and kinda guess.

Snoring does not mean you have having apnea events. A snore is when the tissue of the throat relax and, basically, are flapping in the breeze. It is when the snoring reaches a peak and you suddenly stop then gasp, that's an example of an obstructive event.

Can't you look at the data of your CPAP? I'm not familiar with the F&P line, as to which are data capable. If nothing else, you could try to bump up the pressure a half point to see it that helps the snoring.

But then, it comes down to, how do you feel? Do you feel rested? Do you feel like you are getting adequate sleep?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
From some of the other threads I've read about them, they can work if your problem is obstructive and the oral appliance is adjusted right and well fitting. Some folks have problems with their jaws, TMJ, teeth moving using them.

Average cost (based on those threads I've read) is anywhere from $1500 to $3500 including adjustments. TAP 3 and Somnodent look like industry standards everyone judges theirs against.

I've thought about trying one of OA's in conjunction with my APAP too while watching data and seeing how I feel. IF pressures stayed constant with no spikes I'd imagine the OA would be doing it's job.

That's a ways down the road though; APAP's doing a pretty good job for now. It'd be great for camping trips and such.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 06:11 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The problem with oral only devices is there's no way to tell if they are actually working. You'd have to wear an oximeter and kinda guess.

Snoring does not mean you have having apnea events. A snore is when the tissue of the throat relax and, basically, are flapping in the breeze. It is when the snoring reaches a peak and you suddenly stop then gasp, that's an example of an obstructive event.

Can't you look at the data of your CPAP? I'm not familiar with the F&P line, as to which are data capable. If nothing else, you could try to bump up the pressure a half point to see it that helps the snoring.

But then, it comes down to, how do you feel? Do you feel rested? Do you feel like you are getting adequate sleep?
I don't think you can look at the data on that machine Paula. It's a pretty basic machine which is what I wanted anyway. Some days I feel rested, some days not so much. I'm not an expert, but I just got to thinking that if my nasal passages are blocked. That machine with the nasal mask isn't doing me very much good. I'm thinking maybe I just need to buy me a full face mask and try that again. What do ya'll think?
You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use a cpap, but have somnomed (somnodent). I've had it for 4 years now. It has worked pretty well for me. It was very expensive ($2500), which insurance (public or private) didn't cover. It's has broken about once a year. the first year it was repaired under warranty, and then after I was charged between $30-50. After the last time it was returned 2 months, it doesn't fit quite as well. My dentist has made some adjustments to it, but I have to push my jaw to one side to make it fit now. It's very annoying. I definitely not getting as good sleeps as I have for the past few years.

I'd recommend trying some over the counter (or through the internet) appliances first. They're only $80 or so, and you can see if they work first to help you before investing in one of the expensive ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 10:05 AM)mlsmith45 Wrote: I don't use a cpap, but have somnomed (somnodent). I've had it for 4 years now. It has worked pretty well for me. It was very expensive ($2500), which insurance (public or private) didn't cover. It's has broken about once a year. the first year it was repaired under warranty, and then after I was charged between $30-50. After the last time it was returned 2 months, it doesn't fit quite as well. My dentist has made some adjustments to it, but I have to push my jaw to one side to make it fit now. It's very annoying. I definitely not getting as good sleeps as I have for the past few years.

I'd recommend trying some over the counter (or through the internet) appliances first. They're only $80 or so, and you can see if they work first to help you before investing in one of the expensive ones.

Those are the ones that I was talking about. The ones that I've seen advertise on TV. I was wondering if they worked or not. I wound up getting a FFM. I've been using it for a couple of nights now. It's hard getting it adjusted right where it's comfortable and doesn't leak. Which is almost impossible with a FFM it seems. I've gotten mixed reviews so far from the missus. One night she said I still snored. But the other 2 I didn't, I'm sleeping longer and better it seems though.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the FFM?

I know mine doesn't always stop my snoring completely when it's working. It reduces enough so that it doesn't wake me up or my spouse beside me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 10:29 AM)mlsmith45 Wrote: What is the FFM?

I know mine doesn't always stop my snoring completely when it's working. It reduces enough so that it doesn't wake me up or my spouse beside me.

FFM= full face mask to be used with a cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,954 11 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 17,084 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 250 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 247 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,103 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 331 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 572 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.