Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oral device
Oral device
Hi I am new to this board. I recently received the oral mouth guard because the cpap wasn't working. Anyone have problems with theirs? One of my teeth on the top right side hurts really bad when using and after I take it off. Every time I use it my gum behind my lips on top gets raw and a sore shows up. Does anyone else get this or is it not from the device
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oral device
denisepo,

Was this oral device an over the counter or was it cast and fit by your dentist or other provider. If it was done by them, I would get back with them and tell them what is happening. They should be able to fix it.

Personally, I have never had good luck with an oral device and hope you can make this work seeing as you said CPAP wasn't working. When you say it was not working, can you provide details in how it was not working? And, what steps did your doctor take to try to improve results.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi denisepo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you didn't have good results with CPAP therapy. I don't know anything about oral devices but hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It was fitted by a dentist, but before and while I was having this done, I was having trouble with my gums and mouth.

Anyways the reason the cpap wasn't working was because every morning when I would wake up (with or without any water in humidifier) my eyes lids were always swollen and puffy and it made me feel worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2015, 02:43 PM)denisepo Wrote: It was fitted by a dentist, but before and while I was having this done, I was having trouble with my gums and mouth.

Anyways the reason the cpap wasn't working was because every morning when I would wake up (with or without any water in humidifier) my eyes lids were always swollen and puffy and it made me feel worse.

I have had considerable issue with swollen puffy eyelids, and while it's not gone, there are some things that have improved it:
  1. Time. You accustom to it to some degree, with use
  2. Mask. Get one with better diffusion for the venting so jets of air are not poofing into your eyes
  3. Leaks. Manage leaks so that air is not poofing into your eyes
  4. Eyemask. Helps to keep air out of your eyes (theme?)
  5. Benedryl. half dose at bedtime
  6. Warm washcloth over face before bed (this was tremendous, actually)
  7. Nice nose blow - especially into warm water.
  8. Caffeinated eye cream. (huge help also)
  9. Clean nosepiece (pillows in my case) I wash this part every day. When I have tried not doing it, I can really tell.
  10. Clean hose -- by the end of the week, I can tell that it is time
  11. "lymph drainage" facial self massage (edited in)
Post Reply Post Reply
do you still feel tired when you lids are swollen? I sure do and where do I get cafinated eye cream? I never thought of buying one of those eye masks. Can you get them locally?[/quote]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2015, 12:00 PM)denisepo Wrote: do you still feel tired when you lids are swollen? I sure do and where do I get cafinated eye cream? I never thought of buying one of those eye masks. Can you get them locally?

YES! I hate that feeling Smile The cpap does so much good, that I am dedicated to finding ways to alleviate it and continue cpap, but it is a considerable issue for me.

I forgot to mention one of the things i do... and that is to practice "lymph drainage" facial self massage. anything that helps a little!!!

caffeinated eye creams usually tout "green tea" (camella sinensis) or "green coffee" extracts. I am currently using one called Andalou Naturals, Luminous Eye Serum, Brightening

The eye mask I have is just a $5 jobber i found at walgreens... it fits poorly with the p10 straps (i have a short face) and i am thinking of other solutions, but when its on right it is actually kind of nice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow lot of threads at once on eye problems. Quick fix for eye problems is a total face mask like the fitlife. Pressure is spread evenly over the exterior of the face and eyes that is equal to the pressure being applied internally to your airway. But there is no air movement across your face and eyes just the sensation of air entering your nose or mouth as in breathing without a mask.

It will stop eye problems, snore nose, pressure points, etc etc and is quite comfortable even to side sleep in. Its a lot to look at but really an excellent mask. Was my first mask. Id probably have had much more trouble getting used to cpap in any other mask.

I dont use one now as a primary mask since I now can use a nasal mask with no issues. But I still have one as a backup if I have to have teeth pulled etc.

If I had issues with nasal masks or the Simplus mask I wouldnt hesitate to go back to the fitlife.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's why I tried this new dental device, but I still haven't had any responses on this about the sores in my mouth. It is terrible and always in the same place!!! But now about the full face. Does it actually go over the whole face or just the nose and mouth? I have one that goes over the mouth and nose and that still affects my eyes. Hopefully all of this is connected to the sleep apnea. My mouth (I wasn't using anything for a while before I got the dental device that I can't use either), but I am having trouble with my mouth being sore everywhere and raw feeling. Anyone dealing with this from sleep apnea. I have been to doctor to doctor and no one sees anything, but the last one is saying they think it has to do with apnea. I hate this too, hard even to talk
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2015, 02:43 PM)denisepo Wrote: It was fitted by a dentist, but before and while I was having this done, I was having trouble with my gums and mouth.

This is expected. You should be able to call and get a free adjustment. No oral device is expected to work the first time.

Quote:Anyways the reason the cpap wasn't working was because every morning when I would wake up (with or without any water in humidifier) my eyes lids were always swollen and puffy and it made me feel worse.

It's the same thing with a CPAP mask. No mask is expected to fit the first time. You should be able to call and get a free adjustment or replacement.

CPAP therapy is far more effective than an oral appliance for the vast and overwhelming majority of folks. Of course, your mileage may vary.

The thing you have to do is be persistent and communicate with your care givers. Too many people give up too quickly, park their machine in the closet, and live a miserable sleep-deprived life. Then they die early of a heart attack or stroke. The misery of CPAP therapy, on the other hand, lasts only a short time. The human body's ability to adapt is amazing. In a little while the stuff about CPAP therapy that bothers you goes away. You just have to have the courage to stick it out.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,051 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 975 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 368 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 328 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 356 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.