Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Orchid Culture
My wife and I are looking for some basic knowledge regarding orchids. Because we enjoy orchids and because the blooms last several times as long as roses or cut flowers I and family members have, over the past few years, given my wife orchids for birthdays, Mothers Day etc. After the blooms finally fall off, sometimes after as long as three months, she has placed them out on the patio and watered then sparingly plus some orchid food once in a while. After being what I think of as dormant for, in some cases, four years late last year some spikes started to grow up followed by formation of buds. A month or so ago several of the buds slowly opened and now each plant has at least two beautiful blooms and more buds starting to open.

Living in central Florida we have mild winters and seldom experience any kind of freezing so the orchids are basically under roof on a screened patio year round. Now, we are wondering if what we are seeing is typical behavior of orchids. If anyone out there can provide helpful input we would appreciate it very much. Meanwhile we will be looking in other places for information but were thinking that some good input should come from this group.

Regards to everybody reading this,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what we have experienced as well. Ours only went dormant for a few months or so and started growing again. Guess it depends on the type of Orchid. There are some that only bloom once every hundreds of years or so? Anyway, ours bloomed and then we finally killed it. Don't know what we did wrong. Might have been too hot for it on the lanai. Google American Orchid Society they have some good info on caring for Orchids.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Alan. Our two newest ones came from Lowes and it appears they are using a different nursery. We'll see if that makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

I don't live in Florida but I love orchids, although I've never been brave enough to buy one. I know nothing about them but would love to learn. In my state orchids are considered a 'hot-house' plant because of our normal climate.
Post Reply Post Reply
We've had them for years and the roots need out of that moss they usually come in to a more airy mix. Most die from over watering. We soak ours in lake water once a week. Fertilizer should be really diluted and fed every time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here in Pennsylvania, we have 3 plants and all are now blooming or about to. We've had them for several years sitting in a western window. They seem to like the lengthening daylight hours.
Post Reply Post Reply

After donating many orchids to the local dump (which has got to have some amazingly growing orchids by now, thanks to me), I've decided to leave the orchid growing to others. I either over-water them (as jonkertb mentioned), or I'm just too impatient for them to ever decide to bloom again.

So if you've got them blooming again, I'd consider it a miracle! Kudos!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for the very interesting and varied input. We can to a certain extent relate to each situation mentioned. Consider picking up one or two, they last so much longer than other flowers and in this area they are very affordable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike my wife, I've not the patience for Orchids or any plant. Stick it in the ground, if it grows, great! if not, mow over what died.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply