Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
RE: Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
(10-15-2016, 01:46 AM)jakthebomb Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 01:05 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: When you had the sleep study, did they do a titration? Meaning did they put a mask on you?

I had an at-home sleep study. They didn't do a Titration.

They really are two different things. The home study can screen for OSA, but the full PSG/titration study gets all the data (oximetry, EEG, and others), and figures out the pressure that worked best that night.

The PSG is much more detailed and can find things the home study can't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jakthebomb,
Good luck to you with the new machine and getting your therapy
fine-tuned to treat your sleep apnea.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2016, 08:41 AM)KSMatthew Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 01:46 AM)jakthebomb Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 01:05 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: When you had the sleep study, did they do a titration? Meaning did they put a mask on you?

I had an at-home sleep study. They didn't do a Titration.

They really are two different things. The home study can screen for OSA, but the full PSG/titration study gets all the data (oximetry, EEG, and others), and figures out the pressure that worked best that night.

The PSG is much more detailed and can find things the home study can't.

I had a PSG last month. It came back negative, but it wasn't checking RDI. My doctor still insists that I don't have Sleep Apnea even though he signed off on the Sleep Study results which stated that I have it. My test stated that my RDI was 21 and my AHI was 3.

AASM diagnostic criteria for OSA
According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services criteria for the positive diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea, a positive test for OSA is established if either of the following criteria using the AHI or the RDI is met:
• AHI or RDI greater than or equal to 15 events per hour, or
• AHI or RDI greater than or equal to 5 and less than or equal to 14 events per hour with documented symptoms of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS); impaired cognition; mood disorders; insomnia; or documented hypertension, ischemic heart disease, or history of stroke
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2016, 10:39 AM)jakthebomb Wrote: Thanks for the advice!

I have my results and they are clearly stating that I have an RDI of 21. My doctor is a pulmonologist who owns his own sleep center. I am sure it is a cash cow for him. It really sucks that I had to spend over $500 to override his gatekeeping. I am reporting him to my Insurance and filing a grief report.
I am reading up that people recommend starting the Range from 5-20 for the first week or two, then adjusting it afterwards.

I think that's a little much to be filing a grievance with the pulmonologist. My wife is an RPSGT and she is the one who did my study. We did a split study the first night, and to this day, I regret it. There was a thunderstorm that approached and I was only asleep for 130 minutes with the CPAP.

You can use an APAP to get pressures and monitor AHI's, but it's not the best way.

I've been trying to get in to do another titration study, but my insurance company wants me to do an at home test first. My wife doesn't believe in them as they are limited in what they can monitor.

As a physician, I'm very comfortable adjusting my numbers based on data in SleepyHead.

I don't think your pulmonologist is just trying to make money. I think you need a titration study. Most initial studies are for diagnosis only. The follow-up study is a titration study to find your actual numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2016, 11:58 PM)southerndoc Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 10:39 AM)jakthebomb Wrote: Thanks for the advice!

I have my results and they are clearly stating that I have an RDI of 21. My doctor is a pulmonologist who owns his own sleep center. I am sure it is a cash cow for him. It really sucks that I had to spend over $500 to override his gatekeeping. I am reporting him to my Insurance and filing a grief report.
I am reading up that people recommend starting the Range from 5-20 for the first week or two, then adjusting it afterwards.

I think that's a little much to be filing a grievance with the pulmonologist. My wife is an RPSGT and she is the one who did my study. We did a split study the first night, and to this day, I regret it. There was a thunderstorm that approached and I was only asleep for 130 minutes with the CPAP.

You can use an APAP to get pressures and monitor AHI's, but it's not the best way.

I've been trying to get in to do another titration study, but my insurance company wants me to do an at home test first. My wife doesn't believe in them as they are limited in what they can monitor.

As a physician, I'm very comfortable adjusting my numbers based on data in SleepyHead.

I don't think your pulmonologist is just trying to make money. I think you need a titration study. Most initial studies are for diagnosis only. The follow-up study is a titration study to find your actual numbers.

I spoke with my Insurance and Doctor's Office today and my Doctor's office is claiming that I was never diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. This is bizarre as my sleep study says I have Sleep Apnea and my doctor signed it confirming the Diagnosis.

At this point I am pursuing a new doctor. He is clearly delusional and his medical staff seem unable to use their brains.
Post Reply Post Reply
Second opinions are always a good idea. Besides another provider looking at you, you also might have more events on a second night. People vary in the number of events they have.

I'm betting he just signed the report not even reading it. It was probably generated by the RPSGT and the doc just signed it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 373 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 235 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.