Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ordering Supplies
Ordering Supplies
The picture shows the timeframe on which to order my supplies (per my supply company).  Just curious what real lifespan can I expect from these underlined items?  Are there any of these that are even close to the time frame I should stick to?

Also, is going thru the home healthcare supplier the best route or should be be looking on some place else (Amazon)? I know I don't have prices but in general what are thoughts around that?

[Image: AYU9xuAl.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ordering Supplies
When you are first starting out, and as long as you have decent insurance coverage, then it’s a good idea to follow the replacement schedule, and build a stockpile of supplies.

It’s handy to have at least two hoses, so when you wash one, instead of waiting for it to dry, you have one ready to go.  Always have on hand extra filters, as these should be replaced monthly.   Same with nasal pillows and cushions, as they tend to get soft and cause leaks.  

Also be sure to order a new mask at the 3 month mark whether you need it or not.

Many of these supplies last longer that the replacement schedule offered by insurance.

If you have a high copay, and wish to avoid insurance, you may find supplies reasonably priced elsewhere, like Amazon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 05:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: When you are first starting out, and as long as you have decent insurance coverage, then it’s a good idea to follow the replacement schedule, and build a stockpile of supplies.

It’s handy to have at least two hoses, so when you wash one, instead of waiting for it to dry, you have one ready to go.  Always have on hand extra filters, as these should be replaced monthly.   Same with nasal pillows and cushions, as they tend to get soft and cause leaks.  

Also be sure to order a new mask at the 3 month mark whether you need it or not.

Many of these supplies last longer that the replacement schedule offered by insurance.

If you have a high copay, and wish to avoid insurance, you may find supplies reasonably priced elsewhere, like Amazon.

Awesome thanks for the insight.  I have good insurance, just a high deductible and not sure if that'll be met this year or not.  But if I feel I'm getting close I will for sure max out everything.  But thanks for the insight on having backups, I never thought about making sure I had backups of certain items.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to tuck an extra item or two into your bag too. Less risk of forgetting something when you travel.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 06:30 PM)kiwii Wrote: You may want to tuck an extra item or two into your bag too. Less risk of forgetting something when you travel.

Exactly. I lost a nasal cushion while on vacation once. Luckily, I had a couple spares. I have a laminated check list now that I use to be sure I don't forget anything.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stockpiling a few spares is a good idea as noted above and my insurance has a similar replacement schedule. That said, I find that hoses and filters last much longer than the replacement window but the nasal pillows I get (2 per month) often need to replaced more often. They just don't hold their shape and start collapsing after about 9 days. I swear that they feel different from batch to batch as well and have often wondered about manufacturing irregularities.  The copay I have (20.00) is actually higher than the cost of purchasing these online from a supplier or amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can find these items cheaper online then going thru the supplier and billing insurance (due to deductible not being met).  It's a question of whether I will meet deductible this year.  If I think I do, I will stockpile thru the insurance, if not, then i gotta decide if i want insurance still billed at a higher amount or go with my own purchase
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 100 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 254 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 835 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 362 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,099 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 379 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,535 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.