Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar/Air report questions
RE: Oscar/Air report questions
For several "max" values, the actual number used is the 99% value.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is purely a guess on my part but I think the machine can sense a change in the flow when you inhale. A sudden lower flow tells the machine to increase pressure and in doing so also keeps track of how long and how much of a decrease in flow there is and marks it as a flow limitation on the FL chart. Again purely a guess.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
No CPAP or BiLevel, even ASV alters Pressure except algorithmically in response to events.
These machines all maintain pressure constant.
Physics, a sudden lower flow will for a brief increase in pressure before the CPAP (any of the above) can react by slowing the blower and restoring the currently set pressure.

The machine can sense a change in the flow as it contains both pressure and flow sensors.
Post Reply Post Reply

Good morning.  Time for an update and questions Wink 

I seem to have solved most of the OA issues with the use of a snore collar.  I bought the "Eliminator" at Amazon.  It is pretty hard but surprisingly comfortable.  It only took one night to get used to it.  It dropped my OA's in half immediately.  So now I am looking at CA's and Hyponeas.  Most of my CA's occurred during two eight minute periods during the early morning.  I am attaching the Oscar for these two periods just to see if anything stands out.  I included the Time at Pressure line just because I am curious if it has any significance and not sure what it represents.  (The leak rate and snore lines are not shown, just for clarity since nothing showed up in them)
Ok, now a question.  Looking at the Medicare criteria for approving treatments, it seems that they lump Hyponeas with CA's rather than OA's.  Is this correct or have I misinterpreted the criteria?  If correct,  I wonder what the reasoning is?  Thanks again for the great help that is available here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Time at Pressure just says what pressure you spent how much time at. It has no meaning with regard to therapy.

Detail in the flow rate chart helps, set your y axis to +/- 70 and add a zero dotted line, the separator between inhale and exhale.
Seein your pressure may be of some help.
If you haven't I would try EPR=0

Please reference the medicare criteria you are referring to. I do know that at least as it pertains to central apnea medicare distinguishes between obstructive hypopnea and central hypopnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2020, 10:55 AM)bonjour Wrote: Please reference the medicare criteria you are referring to.  I do know that at least as it pertains to central apnea medicare distinguishes between obstructive hypopnea and central hypopnea.

Here  is what I had read on the ResMed website      https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...elines.pdf

I think, however, I read it too quickly as they seem to reference both Obstructive Hyponeas AND Central Hyponeas.  I was looking at the definitions at the very bottom of the page which deal with the criteria for approval.  Eg. Central apenas plus central hyponeas must be more than 50% of the total apneas (for this particular machine).  I had not seen Hyponeas referred to before  as obstructive or central.  I wonder how they distinguish one from the other?

Sorry for the confusing question in the previous post.  BTW, I will reduce the EPR to 0 to see how that works.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
On Sleep tests, PSG, it is considered optional to split the classification of hypopneas between central and obstructive.  This is improving and we are seeing more tests that are noting central hypopneas.

It is an Obstructive Hypopnea if ANY of the following are present:
  • Snoring during the event
  • An increase in the flatting of the nasal pressure flow or PAP flow signal
  • Paradoxical breathing
You can only call the event a Central Hypopnea 
  • if NONE of the above is present.

We can tell by looking at a zoomed view of the flow rate chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try this AAST article to see if it helps: https://www.aastweb.org/blog/scoring-obs...e-criteria

Significant excerpt:

So how do I tell obstructive and central hypopneas apart?

It is an Obstructive Hypopnea if ANY of the following are present:

1. Snoring during the event
  2. An increase in the flatting of the nasal pressure flow or PAP flow signal
  3. Paradoxical breathing

You can only call the event a Central Hypopnea if NONE of the above is present.

That's it! With a bit of practice and observation, you can identify the difference between the two and find the correct device modality and pressure for your patient.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

This would seem to be central apneas.  I am not sure whether the flow rate shows flattening or not.  Seems to be the same all along.
Post Reply Post Reply
You flow line is fairly flat due to the scaling but it looks to me like both the CA’s and Hypopnoeas are centrally based and I would suggest that an ASV is in your future, but it is a game to get one, it will require further sleep studies to have worse numbers on a BiLevel and possibly an ST based machine before finally getting an ASV.

To follow this course you need to be a Squeeky wheel
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 376 10 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 198 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 178 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 152 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 251 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 363 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 212 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.