Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar/Air report questions
RE: Oscar/Air report questions
(02-17-2020, 05:52 PM)sheepless Wrote: hints of periodic limb movement in there. something to watch for. check the details of your sleep study, if you haven't already, to see if plm was noted. bed partner reports, audio & video recordings are about the only ways to check for plm, unless you can figure out how to use your phone's accelerometer. can't remember who, but someone posted a thread about that a some time ago.

Sleep study showed no limb movements.  The only feedback I get from my wife is that I kick (hard) when having a nightmare, resulting in a row of protective pillows between us at night. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
chances are you're right but if you kick enough to warrant a row of pillows to protect your wife, it sounds like more than the occasional nightmare. if you see more of the flow rate pattern I responded to above and you're still having awakenings, it might be worth looking into. obviously idk if it's a problem for you, just noting because it's not on most people's radar and it took me several years of lousy sleep with apap and asv to figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
"hints of periodic limb movement in there."

Sleepless, What did you see that were hints of plm?

Thanks
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
I've attached a screenshot of a good example of my respiratory response to plm.  periodic, sharp inhale often followed by a grunt/moan, then some relatively uniform number of breaths that are relatively flow limited, followed by another sharp inhale.  many of my apnea/hypopnea events occur in strings like this. time/breaths between movements is usually fairly consistent for each episode but may vary from episode to episode.  I haven't checked this but in my case I'd guess I haven't seen any episodes longer than about 45 minutes but they occur throughout the night.  while I've experienced longer intervals between movements in an episode, most seem to be around 20 seconds.

I say 'hints' because yours isn't as clear as mine.  however, I see possible indications in your screenshot in post #25.  (imperfectly) uniform periodic larger inhales followed by relatively flow limited breaths.  events more or less following the pattern.  easiest to see after the 2nd hypopnea and even more so after the 3rd.  

hopefully I'm wrong but good to rule it out.  I spent a couple years trying to optimize therapy before realizing the machine response to the way plm affects my breathing is ineffective and the plm and machine response together are a significant source of my fragmented and non-restorative sleep. 

I've seen this pattern in a number of other member charts but I'm not sure it's the only manifestation of plm in the flow rate.  I suspect I'm seeing a 'softer' variant that looks more like the sinusoidal csr periodic breathing pattern that I'm guessing may be a result of the Rx ropinirol partially easing my plm.  I think I get more events in the midst of this pattern.  your screenshot shows a bit of that waxing and waning pattern too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepless.  It's an ongoing learning adventure.  Fortunately, my kicking on happens every month or so.

Best
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
one less thing to worry about then. sorry to distract from the more experienced member replies. best luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
No distraction at all! I appreciate all of the input I can get.  Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Post Reply

This is why I stated these were CO2 driven.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred,

My idiopathic periodic breathing looks the same in REM sleep, but happens with fixed and low pressures and is not EPR related, and still continues to this day without my asv. I am not arguing just adding additional data points
Post Reply Post Reply

Fred,  Thanks for the post.  Those centrals do seem to have a pretty clear pattern.  Looking at last nite's Oscar, they don't seem to be as picture perfect as those were.

thanks for the help
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 170 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.