Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Data ?/ switch from APAP to Resmed Bipap or ASV?
RE: Oscar Data ?/ switch from APAP to Resmed Bipap or ASV?
On the Philips the EPR is called FLEX and is under comfort settings. It is excellent advice to ensure the DME is strictly following the prescription.
My sister was specifically prescribed a Dreamstation ASV and the DME gave her a Resmed APAP machine which did nothing for her severe centrals. She then got the prescribed Philips ASV machine which had a programmable backup rate which is effective at 11 and brought her AHI from 72 to below 1. Resmed ASV uses some kind of averaging method for their backup rate which is ineffective to average a long run of central events and derive any useful average respiration rate. That is why the doctor prescribed the Dreamstation ASV instead of the Resmed. The person who delivered the wrong machine no longer works for the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I've used the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, and it can in fact be very effective despite Auto backup rate and other time controls. Except for a person like me with COPD and Central Apnea, ResMed ASV is very good.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you indicated, the Resmed ASV can be a solution for many people. For some people with severe central apnea, the lack of a manual backup setting makes it unsuitable for their treatment. Attempted use in my sister’s sleep study ruled it out. The DME person’s incompetence and long delay getting the proper machine was not helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too like my ResMed ASV very much. But if there was one thing on my wish list, it would be a user adjustable backup rate. My normal respiration rate is much slower that their preprogrammed backup rate. But do I think it will matter to me? Not much. Do I wake up because of it? No.

I imagine it might be more important to others so it’s nice to have a choice.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 4 80 Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,293 Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 259 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,220 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 112 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - OSCAR Data Flspearfisher 2 387 04-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Flspearfisher

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.