Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Freezes on Debian Linux (Buster) 10.4
Sad 
Oscar Freezes on Debian Linux (Buster) 10.4
This is a problem I first described in the https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...on-Bonjour thread.  It appears to have gotten somewhat lost in the noise there, so I am breaking it out into a separate thread so that hopefully I can find a solution.

PROBLEM SUMMARY:
Once I go into either the overview or daily pages and move around in the graph area I am no longer able to switch pages with either the right navigation sidebar, or the tabs at the top of the screen.  The F-keys do allow changing pages.  On the Daily page, IF it is the first thing I do, I can switch days as many times as I want by clicking on the day, if I do NOT even scroll the displayed day.  If I scroll, or have looked at the overview page first, I can no longer switch days.  (the mouse scroll wheel changes the month...)  When frozen, I can no longer use the pulldown menus with the mouse, but <ALT><ltr> still works for both the menus and switching pages.  I am a heavy mouse user (isn't that what GUI's are for???) so keyboard navigation is not my preference.  (I also haven't seen a keyboard method for switching days...)

HARDWARE:
Lenovo T540P Laptop - Intel Core I5 CPU,  Intel onboard graphics, 16GB RAM

SOFTWARE:

Debian stable (Buster) 10.4 (updated within the last week) running KDE - from the KDE  system info:

Quote:Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.0-9-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 15.3 GiB of RAM

HISTORY / DETAILS:

I had initially tried to install oscar_1.0.1-r1_Debian9_amd64.deb and had problems with the install, when looking for suggestions, I found that oscar_1.1.0-Debian9_amd64.deb had been released.  Because of the install issues, I had significant problems getting the new version installed but was able to do so w/ help from pholynyk  Thanks  so I think my install is correct.

I had initially downloaded the SD card on the first install, and I believe it redid the files after I got the new version installed.  I have now downloaded the card a second time, with no change in the problem.  Looking at some of the other threads, I saw suggestions to try rebuilding the database, so I did and no change.

In the other thread jaswilliams suggested that I force a different graphics engine by pressing <SHIFT> while starting OSCAR - I tried and that did not make any visible difference.  I have also tried switching from the default "Desktop Open GL" to "software engine" in preferences, and again it didn't seem to change anything (Note, I am not seeing any issues with the graphs...)

Suggestions on what to do next?  Huhsign  Dont-know  Thinking-about   One thought I had as a remote possibility is that the packages on the OSCAR download page are for Debian 9 (which is now 'OLD-stable') and I am running 10.4 so I'm wondering if I need to do a recompile and install from source - I haven't done this before so could use some advice if this seems like a good idea...

(Minor suggestion, it might be good to update the version - Debian 10 (Buster) has been out as the current stable release for almost a year...)

Thanks in advaqnce...

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprised 
RE: Oscar Freezes on Debian Linux (Buster) 10.4
Strange...  I got an e-mail message saying Crimson Nape had made a response, to this thread, but it isn't showing even though I've reloaded the page multiple times...

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I evidently glossed over part of your post and had created a response. Immediately after making the post, I saw you had already answered my recommendation in your post. Since you had already provided the answer, I retracted mine.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem, thanks for the explanation...  I've seen this sort of thing on other forums, but usually from the mods removing a spammer...  I'd seen your other posts enough to know that you weren't a spammer (to put it mildly) so I wasn't sure what was happening...

At any rate I hope I provided enough info to help someone point me at a solution...

ex-Gooserider

(06-01-2020, 06:56 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I evidently glossed over part of your post and had created a response.  Immediately after making the post, I saw you had already answered my recommendation in your post.  Since you had already provided the answer, I retracted mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
I saw in one of the other threads that OSCAR 1.1.1 has just been released, so I downloaded it to see if the new version would fix my freeze issue...  It DID NOT!! Sad

It wasn't clear if it was needed when going from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1, but I did a purge of the old version before installing the new one.  No errors showed except one that I am pretty sure is meaningless and due to installing a file that was downloaded outside of the normal Debian release repositories....  (see last line of code block)

Code:
debian:~/Downloads/sleep$ sudo apt install ./oscar_1.1.1-Debian9_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'oscar' instead of './oscar_1.1.1-Debian9_amd64.deb'
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 oscar
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/5,035 kB of archives.
After this operation, 11.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 /home/comgrp/Downloads/sleep/oscar_1.1.1-Debian9_amd64.deb oscar amd64 1.1.1-Debian9 [5,035 kB]
Selecting previously unselected package oscar.
(Reading database ... 268299 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../oscar_1.1.1-Debian9_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking oscar (1.1.1-Debian9) ...
Setting up oscar (1.1.1-Debian9) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...
N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/home/comgrp/Downloads/sleep/oscar_1.1.1-Debian9_amd64.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

I started the new install, and it asked to rebuild the database, (I let it) then gave me the notes on the new release, and took me to the welcome screen.  It appears to have kept the few things I had changed in preferences.

However it still seems to freeze and not respond to mouse clicks on any of the tabs or menus, while still allowing the mouse to scroll and click to zoom in on the details of the daily page as previously described.  The keyboard <alt> keys mostly still work and I discovered that at least until I do some zooming and scrolling around on a daily page that the arrows will switch days IF the mouse cursor is in the area under the cursor...

ex-Gooserider
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a message : 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
--> Why "3 not upgraded" ?

The last message begins with N:. N stand for notice --> it's just to inform you.
It seems what oscar is installed inside a sandbox. Strange...
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
Now that v1.1.1 is released, I can pause for a bit and finally upgrade my own system to Buster. Although I prefer some variety of Gnome, I will try to use KDE to see if it behaves any differently. I don't see why it would, but we shall see.

While I am doing that, it would be helpful, I think, if you would run OSCAR from a terminal window. This will capture the debug pane as it runs. Just open a terminal window and type OSCAR and hit Return. After you exit OSCAR, you can select the terminal contents with ctrl-A, copy it with ctrl-C and paste it into an edit document with ctrl-V. Save and close the file and then attach it to a post here for us to look at.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2020, 01:16 AM)untoutseul05 Wrote: You have a message : 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
--> Why "3 not upgraded" ?

The last message begins with N:. N stand for notice --> it's just to inform you.
It seems what oscar is installed inside a sandbox. Strange...

The "3 not upgraded"  is a Debian / apt thing.  My system, by default regularly checks the repositories for upgraded packages in the background and any time you run apt, it looks to see if there are packages I've installed that have upgrades available and if so, it gives an "X not upgraded" message...  This is fairly standard practice for most GNU/Linux distros....

Not sure why it did the sandbox but I'm not sure if it matters or not....

ex-Gooserider
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2020, 08:30 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Now that v1.1.1 is released, I can pause for a bit and finally upgrade my own system to Buster. Although I prefer some variety of Gnome, I will try to use KDE to see if it behaves any differently. I don't see why it would, but we shall see.

While I am doing that, it would be helpful, I think, if you would run OSCAR from a terminal window. This will capture the debug pane as it runs. Just open a terminal window and type OSCAR and hit Return. After you exit OSCAR, you can select the terminal contents with ctrl-A, copy it with ctrl-C and paste it into an edit document with ctrl-V. Save and close the file and then attach it to a post here for us to look at.

Sounds good...  I opened in a terminal as you suggested and did a bit of random stuff until it froze up on me and then did some stuff with the keyboard to verify that I got the same behavior and exited...  Here is the code dump with 'xxx' replacing my name and such...  I make no claims to being a sofware expert, but I don't see anything that looks obviously suspect.

Code:
debian:~/Downloads/sleep$ OSCAR
00000: Debug: Started logging thread
00000: Debug: OSCAR starting Wed Jun 3 20:05:27 2020
00000: Debug: APP-NAME: "OSCAR"
00000: Debug: APP-PATH: "/usr/bin"
00000: Debug: Trying "/usr/bin/Translations/oscar_qt_fr.qm"
00000: Debug: Trying "/usr/share/OSCAR/Translations/oscar_qt_fr.qm"
00000: Debug: APP-RESOURCES: "/usr/share/OSCAR"
00000: Debug: OSCAR 1.1.1+2d69049c (linux x86_64)
00000: Debug: Built with Qt 5.7.1 on Jun  2 2020 16:48:18
00000: Debug: system locale date format "dddd, MMMM d, yyyy"
00000: Debug: shortened date format "ddd MMM d yyyy" dayFirst false
00000: Debug: number of built-in *.qm files 0
00000: Debug: Inbuilt Translations: en_US
00001: Debug: number of external *.qm files 46
00001: Debug: Number of external translations is 25
00001: Debug: Extra Translations: af, ar, bg, da, de, el, en_UK, es, es_MX, fi, fr, he, hu, it, nl, no, ph, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, sv, th, tr, zh
00001: Debug: Using default language en_US
00068: Debug: Logging UI initialized
00083: Debug: Using System Tray for Menu
00101: Debug: OSCAR 1.1.1+2d69049c (linux x86_64)
00101: Debug: Built with Qt 5.7.1 on Jun  2 2020 16:48:18
00101: Debug:
00101: Debug: Operating system: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
00101: Debug: Graphics Engine: 3.0 Mesa 18.3.6
00101: Debug: Graphics Engine type: OpenGL
00101: Debug:
00101: Debug: AppData folder already exists, so ...
00101: Debug: Using /home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data as OSCAR data folder
00101: Debug: Opening  /home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Preferences.xml
00102: Debug: validateFont found 293 installed font families
00106: Debug: Opening  ":/docs/channels.xml"
00106: Debug: Processing xml file: "channels" "en" "1.0"
00107: Debug: Registering PRS1Loader
00118: Debug: Registering ResmedLoader
00124: Debug: Registering IntellipapLoader
00128: Debug: Registering F&P Icon Loader
00128: Debug: Registering WeinmannLoader
00128: Debug: Registering CMS50Loader
00128: Debug: cms50f37 - Registering CMS50F37Loader
00128: Debug: Registering MD300W1Loader
00128: Debug: Registering ViatomLoader
00128: Debug: Opening  /home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/xxx/Profile.xml
00199: Debug: Opening profile "xxx"
00204: Debug: ResMed machine found.. locking OSCAR preferences to suit it's summary system
00204: Debug: Loading Journal record: /home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/xxx/Journal_76e61017/
00204: Debug: Loading ResMed record: /home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/xxx/ResMed_23201151419/
00204: Debug: Loading /home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/xxx/ResMed_23201151419/Summaries.xml.gz
00252: Debug: PreloadSummaries is true
00252: Debug: Queue task loader is  available
00279: Debug: Loaded AirSense 10 AutoSet data in 75 ms
00280: Debug: Loading channel.dat States
00319: Debug: Creating new Daily object
00331: Debug: Daily Left Panel Width is  250
00378: Debug: Overview range combo from QDate("2020-05-18") to QDate("2020-05-30") with 12 days
00398: Debug: Finished opening Profile
16355: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 1 Load = 44 Other = 0
18005: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 0 Load = 39 Other = 0
27759: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 0 Load = 41 Other = 0
28000: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 0 Load = 34 Other = 0
28573: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 0 Load = 39 Other = 0
28764: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 0 Load = 38 Other = 0
29004: Debug: Page change time (in ms): Unload = 0 Load = 38 Other = 0
72604: Debug: Saving "Daily" settings
72614: Debug: Saving "Overview" settings
72628: Debug: Saving "ResMed" session info "ResMed"
72628: Debug: Done Saving "ResMed" session info
72630: Debug: In ChannelList::Save() saving  "/home/comgrp/Documents/OSCAR_Data/Profiles/xxx/channels.xml"
72633: Debug: Saving Channel States
72635: Debug: Shutting down logging thread

I hope this helps - let me know if you need anything else checked...
Post Reply Post Reply
What version of Qt do you have installed on Buster?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 813 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 129 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 435 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 669 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43
  o2 insight pro on linux Jim Vader 10 1,391 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: data01
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 742 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Feature Request - OSCAR Linux rammjet 3 627 07-09-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: rammjet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.