Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Installation on Chromebook Linux
Oscar Installation on Chromebook Linux
I am running Linux on a new ASUS Chromebook and have been able to get other Linux programs to run (such as Zotero). I have tried installing Oscar Deb 1.01 using the included installer and the OSCAR.desktop file appears in the directory but there is no file to run.

I am a newbie to Linux but I've tried all I can. Apologies if I've omitted needed information and missed the obvious.

--Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar Installation on Chromebook Linux
Hi spmcg - Welcome
Oscar may or may not operate properly on your Chromebook.  Did you follow the install instructions and use "dpkg -1" to install Oscar instead of the "apt install" command?

Here are some steps that may help . . .but I'm not holding my breath.
Preform the following steps in the order listed:
  1. In a terminal window, type or copy: sudo apt-get install gtkhash libb2-1 libpcre16-3 libqt5opengl5 libqt5serialport5
  2. Press <ENTER>
  3. Type: sudo dpkg -i oscar the full filename.deb
  4. Press <ENTER>
  5. Optional: You will have to create a Quick Launch shortcut on your desktop.  If you are unfamiliar with this,
    1. Right-click anywhere on an open area of your desktop.
    2. The 5th option from the top is labeled, "+ Create a new launcher here. . .", select it.  
    3. In the Command box either enter or navigate to the /usr/bin/oscar link
    4. Provide a name for the Quick Launcher, like "OSCAR".

Good luck and keep us posted of any success or failure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oscar runs fine on a Chromebook or ChromeBox under Crouton aka Linux (Beta) which provides a Debian Stretch environment, going to a Debian Buster environment around or after Chrome OS Version 80. 

Probably what's happened is that you haven't found a way to run the Oscar binary, or found the Icon that could launch it. Finding those 2 things depends on how the .deb file was built.

Have you looked for the "Linux Apps" icon, one of the many that are accessed by clicking the Launcher button? Clicking on the Linux Apps button expands it to show several icons, all Linux applications. That would be the "standard place to look for it. If you find Oscar in there, then once you run it, you can pin it to your shelf if you want.

Most Chrome devices use x86  CPUs, and the .deb file built by the Oscar team will work on them. However some use ARM CPUs and the .deb file will not work on them. However the latest Oscar sources will compile and run happily on a Debian Buster Linux under Chrome OS, x86 and ARM.
Post Reply Post Reply
A long delay in trying your suggestions, but I'm back. It turns out that all I needed to do before was to type OSCAR in the Directory. I don't know how to set up the link yet, but at least I got OSCAR to run.

I have set up a profile and tried loading in from my SD card, but the data seems to load and then shows me the file directory below. I was wondering whether I was supposed to look for a folder on my USB card, but I can't find a way to get there from this directly.

Stupid questions, but I'm still new to Chromebooks. I have an ASUS if that helps.

Thanks for whatever patiences and answers anyone has.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you already used the Chrome OS Files App to share the SD card with Linux. If not, do this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 81 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 809 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 129 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Sad Help with Oscar Installation FrankIII 5 295 02-25-2024, 11:05 AM
  Error while installing OSCAR on Lenovo Chromebook Bodie 15 1,235 10-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bodie
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 433 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 669 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.