Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Over view chart
Oscar Over view chart
Can anyone help with an explanation of what the overview chart colors mean. Example IE: the respiratory rate has three colors. Dark, Medium, and light divided by a black line. There are several categories that do this. I am curious to know.

Thanks in advance,

Par301
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar Over view chart
Does the wiki page not explain?

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...rview_Page
Post Reply Post Reply
Just expanding on the wiki page slowriter linked to, most of the charts show values for the minimum, median, 95 percentile and maximum values for each of the parameters. The values are printed just above each chart, on the left hand side.

If you think the wiki explanation isn't clear or needs to be expanded, please let me know and I'll have a further look at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too would like to understand what the Oscar colors on a particular graph is telling me.

In particular, on the Respiratory Rate, my Resmed Airsense 10 usually has daily bars in a couple of shades of pinks but I have just come to notice that now there are very dark purplish segments at the base of some of them - makes me think of a cavity, it looks bad but I don't know what it means.

THanks to any help I can get on this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2022, 10:34 PM)amarnina Wrote: I too would like to understand what the Oscar colors on a particular graph is telling me.

In particular, on the Respiratory Rate, my Resmed Airsense 10 usually has daily bars in a couple of shades of pinks but I have just come to notice that now there are very dark purplish segments at the base of some of them - makes me think of a cavity, it looks bad but I don't know what it means.

THanks to any help I can get on this.

Have a look at the image that I have attached.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

I had already hovered to see the four values given to each segment and had noticed on the nights that the darkest color was not there the Min. Resp. Rate was always 0, understanding therefore why it was not there (nothing to show.)  My values shown for the Min Resp Rate when the darker segment is there are usually 2 something up to a high of 8.  

What you are saying is that the value in the Min Resp Rate is a good thing that I kept breathing however very slowly rather than stopping?  Trying to understand that.  I was taking it as a warning of sorts that things there were going badly there and to take notice.

I am trying to make a new unique mask work, the Tap Pap and my AHI's are ALWAYS very low, so had been feeling successful until noticing these newly displayed darker segments for Min. Resp. Rate (AND Minute Vent. - see following.  I have had a few nights of 0.0 but most usually under 1.0.  But again with this mask has come the lower values in Min. Resp. Rate (and Minute Vent.)  and I couldn't figure if that was a positive.

Still not sure how to understand that is a positive since on the nights that NOTHING was there, hovering consistently displays Min. Resp. Rate at 0.00.  

Also noticed with this new mask the Minute Vent. chart that I personally have positioned just beneath the Respiratory Rate chart also has on occasion a very dark lower value now too.  And ALWAYS on the nights that they too appear on the Respiratory Rate chart but sometimes on days that one does NOT appear on the respiratory rate chart.  Not able to comprehend or consider at all why that would be?

Interestingly, looking at the other charts to see if Iwas missing something similar happening there, see a few smaller dark segments appearing in Leak Rate.  So I giuess on that charter I would hope the darkest segment would be the largest indicating I was at the MINIMUM for a nice long period of time.  But I am prone to getting these types of things backward.

So I am eager to understand what is going on with respiration values and if this new mask is helping or hurting?

Thank you so much!!

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are ever unsure what the colour corresponds to just hover your mouse over it and it will tell you the values being displayed and you can easily figure it out from that. Lightest colors are maxes, darker colors are the next level up. Some statistics like flow limitation usually only have the two highest statistics present whereas others like RR may show all 4.

For respiration rate, tidal volume and minute ventilation the median value is the only value really worth looking at. The rest dont really provide statistical or clinical relevance. In other words if your median tidal volume is 400 ml it has no real significance if your largest breaths were 500 ml, 600 ml or 800 ml as those aren't representative of your nights sleep, they are most likely just a moment of large amplitude arousal breathing.

Rather than trying to interpret this overview chart and its ambiguous data you need to use this chart to notice changes/trends (like you did) and then look at the daily charts for those days to understand why those overview statistics have changed. Is a min minute ventilation being recorded each night because with this mask there are periods of apnea or some other restriction causing extended periods of low ventilation or is there no obvious change other than the machine recording a different value now (perhaps because leak rates have changed etc).

In short you need to investigate daily charts to find the answers you are looking for. If uncertain why the values being reported are different create a thread with screenshots asking for help to interpret the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is in addiiton to my former reply.

Just had occasion to review your reply image on my desktop whereby I could read all of the information supplied more carefully and just now picked up on your statement "This bar is good to see"  so I am clear now it is a positive and my new mask is an improvement.

Great to know!

Many thanks again.  My first time posting and uber beneficial.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something I forgot to add in my previous post is that I only see these minimum bars appear from March this year.  They never appeared before.  I think it was part of the latest release.  So don't be concerned, or draw any conclusions, if they do not appear all the way back in your data.

Other than that, Geer1 is right about focusing mainly on the median value and not as much on the other values.  I know it caught me by surprise the first time I saw no minimum bar for respiratoy rate after they started being displayed on the chart. Once I linked it to events in the daily chart, it made more sense but had less value to identify issues.

It is also worth remembering that the maximum and minimum only happen once each night, possibly before you fall asleep or after you wake.  It is more important to understand what happens frequently while you are asleep.

As far as having a minimum bar on the minute vent, but not on the respiratory rate, remember that the minute vent is the total volume of air breathed in a minute.  Even if you had an event where you stopped breathing for a short while, if it is less than a minute, you will still have had some ventilation recorded for that minute.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 239 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 100 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 357 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New User Please Help with my chart apapnoob 11 508 02-04-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: apapnoob
  Japanese sleep test vs. Lofta/WatchPAT discrepancy + flow chart morphology analysis? woodenwaterbottle 3 4,419 01-24-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Started on BiLevel for UARS, how does chart look? squashedlikeabug 5 518 01-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: squashedlikeabug
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.