Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar & Spo2 Questions
Oscar & Spo2 Questions
First time poster here and grateful to have found y'all! Been using APAP for 7 months with EPR off and pressure of 7-9 per my pulmonologist. All he looks at are my AHI's which are always under 2. He feels I am doing well and doesn't need to see me for another year, even though I am still have those scary, wake you up gasping for air several times a week moments and still exhausted all day.

Then I found OSCAR and took my health into my own hands! While learning to read the program I discovered that 95% of the time my machine is blowing at the max and that's when I have obstructive events. I think it's because my machine wants to go higher to help me breathe? So, I upped my pressure slowly over several nights to land on 8-11 and added EPR to 2. I absolutely sleep better...but have also developed more Central events.

Was thinking of adding a pulse oximeter. I see that OSCAR can use the Contec models CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50F and CMS50I. Sorry for the silly question, but do you feel this will help me learn more about my sleep health? Also, I don't feel that sleeping with that big ol'e thing on my finger will even allow me to sleep. Am I missing something and it's easier than I think? 

I will also attempt to add last nights snapshot and hope that one of you can help me interrupt it. Sure appreciate any insight you may have!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar & Spo2 Questions
Unless you have a reason (low O2) to use it because you oxygen level was below 88% for a length of time, it is not needed and won't give you any insight.  I own one and wear it (cms 50f) at least once a week. I put the probe on my thumb and hardly notice it.  So if you worry about that - I don't think that is a problem.  It is down loadable to OSCAR.  I'm on O2 24/7 so I do need to monitor it.

As far as your charts, you have several centrals, is that normal or just on that day?  Your EPR is at 3 and we see that the higher the EPR the higher likelihood of getting centrals.  If the centrals are constant you could try lowering it to 1 and see how that helps the centrals.  If this is just a random day that your centrals were high don't worry about it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Just bought the ChoiceMMed MD300W314 and I can import the data to OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, this is a normal night for me with EPR on 2. Should I be concerned with so many centrals? I have tried lowering the EPR to a 1 and also tried turning it off, but I find that I wake up all night long because I can feel the pressure change. Maybe thats just in my head, I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers are not that bad even with the centrals, if you have tried it and you can't sleep, leave it where it is.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohmy 
Oh my god! Too-funny We were in the same situation. 
After using APAP, I compared a lot of oximeters.I hope it is not too big to keep me from sleeping, and it is not too prone to missing data.In the end, I chose wellue O2ring, produced by ViAtom.
It's ring-shaped and can be measured throughout 24hours, and when my oxygen level is low it vibrates to remind me to change my position, which I find helpful when Sleeping.I hope my experience has been useful to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Francine,

Thank you for your reply! I decided on the Wellue Ring as well, it should arrive this week. I also ordered a new mask online and it required me sending my sleep study. Now that I am more familiar with OSCAR I was able to understand the data a little better. I don't know why my doctor never told me I had more centrals and my oxygen dipped into the low 80's. He just slapped an APAP on me blowing from 6-20 and called it a day. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with me!! We all need help and support so we can advocate for ourselves...doctors just seem to do the bare minimum. Folks here are very knowledgeable and willing to help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 385 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 824 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 673 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 227 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.