Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar crash on tab switch between Daily/Overview
Oscar crash on tab switch between Daily/Overview
Windows 8.1 64bit: Oscar (64 bit) crashes when switching between the Daily tab and the Overview tab. The error (unhepful, as all Windows errors are) is: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in OSCAR.exe [7820]."

Oscar version: 1.2.0+6d9f544a
Windows version: 8.1 (no build number specified), 64 bit, x64-based processor
Antivirus: standard Windows Defender (no others)

Log file is unhelpful, but posted below.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. open Oscar
  2. select "Overview" tab
  3. select "Daily" tab
  4. Oscar crashes 
Also crashes when selecting those two tabs in the reverse order.

I'm willing to bet this is just my old, creaky, not-kept-up-to-date operating system (which I really like), so if something doesn't jump out at you -- don't spend time on it!

Attached Files
.txt   debug.txt (Size: 4.27 KB / Downloads: 3)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar crash on tab switch between Daily/Overview
Yes, the log is not helpful -- it is truncated before the crash. This happens because the log is buffered to improve performance. Crash analysis was not the design goal of the log, and it rarely helps with one (except when running a special debug version of OSCAR, which I use).

I am not aware of any problems running OSCAR on Windows 8.

I make those kinds of tab switches all of the time, and of course it doesn't crash for me.

Does this happen on all profiles? I suggest creating a new profile and importing your data into a new profile and see if it still happens. It could be that some file in your profile has been corrupted.

If a new profile doesn't help, you can make a zip of your OSCAR_Data directory and I could see if I could reproduce the problem. Use Help/Troubleshooting/Make zip of all OSCAR data and upload the zip file to my Dropbox folder. Please include your forum name in the zip file name so we can get back to you if we have any questions.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I created a new profile and read the SD card into it. As I suspected, it didn't clear the error. Uploaded the data directory zip as requested.

I felt silly even submitting the crash as I was sure this was only happening to me. Oscar is such an elegant app, an error that basic just didn't make sense to me.

I toyed with the idea of uninstalling/re-installing Oscar in case something was honked in my installation, but I was nervous about the data because I had to erase the SD card a few days back in order to correct my Resmed's time. Let me know if I should do that.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I opened both of your profiles with both OSCAR 1.2.0 and the current development version of OSCAR and was able to switch from Daily to Overview graphs, and vice versa, without any problems.

I wonder if your OSCAR installation is defective in some way -- perhaps wrong DLLs left over from a previous version.

Is your hard drive full? I could imagine that causing problems, though don't know why a screen switch would be troubled by a full drive.

The Statistics data suggest you might have been using OSCAR for a month. Have you used prior versions or SleepyHead before that?

It should be safe just to install OSCAR again without uninstalling. See if that helps.

Otherwise, since you say this is not an urgent issue, I'll suggest just waiting for the next release of OSCAR and see if that makes a difference.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if it may be a rouge graphic driver. Have you tried changing the graphics engine? It is located in the Preferences options.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing the graphics engine is a good idea. Since you are adverse to updating, I won't suggest updating the graphics driver.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Graphics would be my guess, too. This driver has a tendency to "quit" (but not really...) occasionally, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Unfortunately this machine is so old that I probably do have the "latest" driver.  Sad   IAC, graphics drivers are my least favorite thing to mess with, so I'm far more inclined to live with a glitch that I can work around.

Since this is obviously a one-off user issue, I'd suggest nobody expend any more cycles on it.

I'll try reinstalling Oscar later today, but I don't expect a different result. Will let you know if that does anything.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2021, 06:42 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: It is located in the Preferences options.

Ho, whoa! I thought you were referring to Windows "Preferences" (haven't had enough coffee yet!) Which had me scratching my head, but oh well...

So I found that in Oscar's Preferences, changed it to "software", and it WORKED! The crash is gone. What a great feature!

Case closed!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Overview Line Graph Jan Flikweert 15 145 10 hours ago
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  OSCAR, how to switch to a new device? edgnoj 4 432 02-10-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: glenncol
  OSCAR crash importing Well O2 Max data RobertFz 7 484 02-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Adding charts to Overview? bstabens 1 438 11-24-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Problems displaying graphs on Daily page SueB 4 599 11-14-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: SueB
  Can OSCAR calculate AHI for a selected time range on the daily? kenmai9 2 534 10-31-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: kenmai9
  Blank Areas on OSCAR Daily reports ejbpesca 13 1,066 10-15-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.