Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What Happened at 3 a.m.?
What Happened at 3 a.m.?
After using Oscar for about one month, I am pleased with the results the changes I have made have had on my therapy.  For the most part, my AHI is less than one and I've solved mask leaks using a small nasal pillow by purchasing a chin strap.  I've recently tried the chin strap with a full nasal mask as it's more comfortable, but my AHI seems to increase slightly to about 5.   Last night I reverted to a small nasal pillow, on APAP with 7 min 15 max and was surprised to see an AHI over 10.  The culprit seems to be whatever ocurred from 3 a.m. to about 4 a.m.    Can one of the forum experts look at the attached data and give me some idea what happened?

Thanks for your help
David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Happened at 3 a.m.?
Try a med or a large pillow. I suspect that the small pillow is making you work too hard to breathe
I think the triggering event was actually the OA around 0145. You start breathing hard go that feels good, so you breathe less forcefully resulting in a waxing waning pattern you highlight which I suspect started way before what you show us and is obviously extending beyond
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2022, 01:54 PM)Gideon Wrote: Try a med or a large pillow.  I suspect that the small pillow is making you work too hard to breathe
I think the triggering event was actually the OA around 0145.  You start breathing hard go that feels good, so you breathe less forcefully resulting in a waxing waning pattern you highlight which I suspect started way before what you show us and is obviously extending beyond

Thanks Gideon!  Will do.  I have all three pillow sizes.  I was considering raising minimum pressure a bit to 8 as well as dropping EPR to 2. Would these adjustments also prove helpful, or should I just try a larger nasal pillow size for a few days?

Cheers for now,
David
Post Reply Post Reply
Just your pillow size for now.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
What was the giveaway in oscar that indicates this?

I have the same issue with 2-3 AM awakenings. Albeit, I reduced the frequency by narrowing my APAP range, but Im curious if a large pillow size since I am on a medium P10 fits inside my nose well inside.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two things, the first the closeup thenseeing the same pattern in the full day view. It would take a closeup to verify but I'm pretty sure
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=44188 Wrote:Gideon pid='453198' dateline='1661626449'][attachment=44189][attachment=44191]Try a med or a large pillow.  I suspect that the small pillow is making you work too hard to breathe
I think the triggering event was actually the OA around 0145.  You start breathing hard go that feels good, so you breathe less forcefully resulting in a waxing waning pattern you highlight which I suspect started way before what you show us and is obviously extending beyond

Hi Gideon, in response to your suggestion that I try a medium or large pillow to improve my therapy, I'm including the following results.  First, the best CPAP result to date.  Next the small pillow result you commented on above, and finally, last night's result with the medium pillow once I returned home.

The CA's seem to worsen with the larger medium pillow and my AHI score also deteriorated. I started experimenting with APAP to improve my sleep comfort, but my CPAP results seem to be better.  Should I just stick with CPAP (perhaps with some setting adjustments) and reduce my EPR to improve the CA's?

Thanks so much for your expert guidance,
David
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2022, 03:21 PM)Gideon Wrote: Just your pillow size for now.

Thanks

Hi Gideon, in response to your suggestion that I try a medium or large pillow to improve my therapy, I'm including the following results.  First, the best CPAP result to date.  Next the small pillow result you commented on above, and finally, last night's result with the medium pillow once I returned home.

The CA's seem to worsen with the larger medium pillow and my AHI score also deteriorated. I started experimenting with APAP to improve my sleep comfort, but my CPAP results seem to be better.  Should I just stick with CPAP (perhaps with some setting adjustments) and reduce my EPR to improve the CA's?

Thanks so much for your expert guidance,
David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I am ignoring your events, they are better than mine.

You have no reason to even try to improve your efficacy, none.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2022, 04:41 PM)Gideon Wrote: I am ignoring your events, they are better than mine.

You have no reason to even try to improve your efficacy, none.

Thanks Gideon!  I'll continue with the current settings and the larger pillow mask as it feels better in my nose.... I was starting to get a little irritation in one nostril with the small mask.
I appreciate all your help!   Keep well and keep safe mate!

Cheers for now,
David
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 863 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 360 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster
  first night taped. what happened? rogerncormier74 5 769 04-13-2022, 07:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Symptoms] What happened between 04:40 - 05:00 ? edgnoj 10 1,302 01-20-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  What Happened? "Plots Disabled" clownbell 5 785 11-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  what happened to me at 2 am? eekamouse 10 1,182 09-02-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: eekamouse
Question [CPAP] what happened to me last night? mallwalker 15 1,621 08-24-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: mallwalker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.