Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar guessing mode/pressure settings
Oscar guessing mode/pressure settings
So last night I changed the settings on my device just before i went to sleep. 

When I imported the data this morning, the graphs look correct relative to ramp, initial pressure, EPR, etc. but the the values displayed in the Machine Settings section are incorrect in that they contain the settings from the previous night.  There is also a message in the device details section at the top that says "Mode/Pressure settings are guessed on this day".  Attached is a screenshot that shows what I am talking about.

I thought that maybe something happened during import so I reimported, but that did not help.  

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks.

Ken

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar guessing mode/pressure settings
Did you select the "Purge Current Selected Day" option prior to reimporting it? When OSCAR encounters a problem such as yours, it will use the previous day's info and add the message of being guessed. If nothing else, your data reporting should correct itself on tomorrow's import.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did use PURGE.  Good to know that tomorrow should be OK. 

Just for my own edification, is this something "funky" in Oscar or the device or something I did?

Thanks.

Ken
Post Reply Post Reply
It's one of those, "Who Knows".   A Resmed device will write the parameter/option setting data to the file the first time you use it for that 24-hour period.  At 12:01PM you could change the pressure to something else to see how it feels then reset it back to its original setting.  That overnight's data will show the altered setting as the one used during the night.  Overall, it doesn't impact your sleep parameter data, compliance, or treatment efficacy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2020, 09:13 AM)kcw196 Wrote: Just for my own edification, is this something "funky" in Oscar or the device or something I did?

Your ResMed machine writes the settings to a file named str.edf.  That file is cumulative, containing one block of data for each day for the last year.  As Crimson Nape noted, that block of data is created when the machine is first used for the day (which begins at noon).  If you start the machine, then stop and change the settings, it is the original settings that are written to the str.edf file and which are displayed.

There were two issues causing the "guessed settings" behavior.  One was that many settings might be marked as "guessed" if you rebuilt your CPAP data.  This was caused by a bug in the way OSCAR made (or, more accurately, didn't make) a backup of the str.edf file.  The problem self-corrected when you next imported from the SD card as the current str.edf file was copied over and all the missing settings were found.  This problem was repaired in OSCAR 1.1.1.

Your situation is somewhat different and is the second time I have seen a similar report (I have seen this once myself too). Both seem associated with changing settings after having turned the machine on for that day. Doing that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I do not know whether this always happens or why it is occurring.  I'll make sure it is logged as an issue.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the detailed explanations.  I am currently on v1.1.1. I don't believe I started a session yesterday before I changed the settings and there does not appear to be more than one session yesterday based on the graphs.  However, explanations helped me understand what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Weird...When I purged and reimported yesterday, Oscar was still "guessing" on the 8/5 session as shown above.

However, when I imported last night's session, 8/6, in addition to getting the data for 8/6, it updated 8/5. With the update I ended up with 2 sessions in the Session Info section for 8/5. The 2 sessions were for exactly the same time frame.

So I purged 8/5 again, and reimported, and now the data is correct. The Session Info section shows 1 session. Oscar is no longer guessing on the Mode/Pressure settings. They reflect the changes that are shown in the graphs and what I expect.

Certainly confusing to me, but maybe this all makes sense to those of you who understand how Oscar works.

Thanks.

Ken
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 09:35 AM)kcw196 Wrote: Certainly confusing to me, but maybe this all makes sense to those of you who understand how Oscar works.

If it made sense to us, we'd fix it!  Thanks for the report.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Guy said!

Right now I'm tracking down how to handle two imports on the same day - for people who want to check their afternoon nap before they go to bed, and then also check their overnight sleep the next day.

After that I will try to find out what happens when the user changes settings at various times during the sleep cycle. If it's easy, it will go into the next point release, otherwise the one after.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought Resscan pops up a dialogue we already have data for date overwrite yes/no
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New software version doesn't view properly, wide screen mode? piratekitty 3 367 02-10-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Oscar doesn't update settings kappak 1 276 01-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR "Most recent" AHI doesn't match " Changes to Device Settings" macbob 5 1,038 01-19-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  OSCAR not picking up resetting of min pressure? WisNaeMe 6 536 01-17-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR 1.5 , permissive mode vs. clinical mode JCW888 8 1,182 12-06-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Stuck in previous pressure settings. ejbpesca 9 960 10-16-2023, 06:37 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  OSCAR Overview Pressure Plot not showing real Max sopherFellow 15 2,241 09-09-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: edfreeman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.