Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR on Ubuntu 18.04
OSCAR on Ubuntu 18.04
I've been running the CentOS build of Oscar (from a third party, but found links to it on the Oscar download page) for some months on my C7 machine.

For reasons too complex to try to describe here, I can no longer do that, so I'm trying to run it in a Ubuntu 18.04 VM I have.

I download the "official" 1.0.whatever build from https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/oscar_1..._amd64.deb, install it. No issues arose during installation.

it doesn't matter if I migrate the data from the CentOS machine when Oscar first starts up, or if I reimport from the SD card, when I attempt to view data I get a black screen. Here are two screenshots, one of the opening screen, the other is what I get when attempting to navigate to the daily or overview screens.

When the "migrate" option kept giving me this I figured for some reason Oscar didn't want to migrate Oscar data (since Oscar != Sleepyhead), so I blew it all away and tried importing from the SD card. Same result.

Does anyone have any clues on what's happening here? Huhsign

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar on Ubuntu 18.04
I would go directly for the graphics driver. The OpenGL model might work in a standard installation, but all bets are off on a VM setup. I would change the graphic driver to the "Software Engine" on the VM model.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope. software rendering instead of Open GL makes no difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I downloaded the latest source code and did a build, which went off without a hitch.

running that new executable, I get the same behavior as before, i.e., the Daily and Overview tabs are black, as shown in the attachment I posted earlier.

I also changed the rendering from OpenGL to software, and as I said before it makes no difference.

I did find that by messing around with the mouse I can access the menus at the top (file, view, etc) and sometimes the tabs will light up so I can select Profile, Welcome, or Statistics, all of which work, though the statistics tab is a little wonky, sometimes it won't display til I mess around with it for a few seconds.

So it clearly seems to be a display issue.

BTW, I'm running it in VirtualBox, which is the same environment in which I previously ran SleepyHead, for several months, without any trouble.

A-HA! Inspiration has just struck...
the latest VBox changed the setting for display driver. changing it back makes Oscar work. Coffee

Trouble is, the old setting is deprecated and will be disappearing in a future release.  Dont-know

changing the display back to OpenGL now works great. Big Grin 

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news you have it working
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears you have fixed your problem, good luck with OSCAR!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 739 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Unable to install Oscar on ubuntu 22.04 BrassCat 2 783 05-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: BrassCat
  Update Oscar 1.2.0 to 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 mcman56 2 601 09-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Last Post: untoutseul05
Sad Problem to install Oscar 1.4.0 with Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 kkwete 2 673 06-22-2022, 03:06 AM
Last Post: kkwete
  Building OSCAR Ubuntu 20.04 happydreams 37 3,206 11-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Installation of OSCAR in Ubuntu 16.04 ? anderson5420 0 729 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Last Post: anderson5420
  cleaning up data folder, ubuntu 18.04 BB63 2 726 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: becker44a

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.