Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar will not open correctly
Oscar will not open correctly
I run a windows 11 set up (64 bit) and Oscar 1.3.1 has been running perfectly well. I have it set up on 2 windows 11 machines and separately download the Resmed SD card weekly but one of the PC’s has suddenly has developed an issue. Oscar can now only be opened by administrator rights. Sometimes it opens with a complete blank page. Other times toolbar with Welcome, Daily, and Overview missing. Statistics is greyed out.
My profile was missing and the right-hand side tools Open Profile, Edit, Destroy and New are greyed out.
Unable to find a troubleshooting fix that referred to this issue I uninstalled and reinstalled Oscar. I was able to create a new profile but this is greyed out. Importing data from SD card loads but I unable to read any statistics.
Searching the forum, I found a similar issue and it was cured by deletion of registry file OSCAR_Team. Does this sound a similar issue? Although if I check with the registry on the working PC the registry entry is exactly the same for OSCAR_Team, ie  REG_SZ (value not set).
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar will not open correctly
It sounds like either your antivirus software or Microsoft enacted some type of app approved rule.   This is based on the fact that it was working up to a point in time.

On a hunch, I did a search about MS approved apps, and found this article from Microsoft.
Excerpt:
In Windows 11, use the Privacy page to choose which apps can use a particular feature. Select Start  > Settings  > Privacy & security. Select an App permission (for example, Location) then choose which apps can access it.

Link to the complete "App Permissions" article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f0ed2ee15c

Please report back on your results.  If you have this problem, then many more will experience it too.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Red. I seemed to have cured problem by running CCleaner! Touch wood! Looks as if it is back to normal except no data stored before November 12 2021. Can I copy any folders from the other computer that have 2 years of data in them so both computers are synced?

Thanks for your time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I spoke too soon. Tried to open Oscar again and has reverted to the problem. Toolbar icons missing, no welcome screen, profile grayed out etc!
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get Microsoft ironed out, you can get the old raw data from the Backup directory in your profile on the other machine.  I would recommend that you create a master backup directory for the SD card on your computer.  SD cards are known to go bad in a heartbeat.  You would then import the data into OSCAR from this directory.  

Did you install OSCAR as the administrator, by chance? This can cause ownership/permission problems.

Good luck - again!    Eat-popcorn

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I don't have to do the work, I keep coming up with more ideas to look at. Big Grin

What are the Security permissions for OSCAR, both the program and its folder, and the OSCAR_Data folder. If you didn't place these in their normal locations, this may be the problem. OSCAR (program): Program Files/OSCAR, and OSCAR_Data: Users/USERNAME/Documents/OSCAR_data.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape-Red thanks for your guidance. I am cautiously reporting all is now well. It turned out to be a simple graphics error. Comparing everything between the two pc's the only difference was the 'good' machine was set to open GL and the 'bad' one had somehow changed to software engine. How it worked for a hour after I ran CCleaner I am not sure. Changing back and then copying over the back up file and rebuilding CPap data brings both pc's back into sync.
Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross SpO2 Assistant Unable To Start Correctly Merlin309 0 460 09-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Merlin309
  OSCAR - will not open [solved - see post #2] gjstein 4 1,466 08-31-2023, 03:02 AM
Last Post: John7
Cool Open Source Oximeter Software DavidEsp 0 753 02-21-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp
  macOS will not open OSCAR ? jrolli1509 6 1,101 02-12-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: biyahero
  Open OSCAR to profile PaulaO2 3 540 02-01-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  FlashPAP Won't Open! WSHenry 20 1,574 07-26-2022, 09:23 AM
Last Post: WSHenry
  downloaded update now Oscar won't open [solved, see post #16] slumberous1 19 2,093 07-24-2022, 10:42 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.