Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Other health problems?
Other health problems?
Just wondering how many others here have a medical condition apart from apnea? I have suffered with Menieres Disease for approx 10 years and have had associated sinus and ear problems. My Dr gave me a paper written by a Japanese Researcher who believes there is a link between the two. For many years I thought my tiredness was because of Menieres but now I know otherwise! Trouble is - the apnea could be because of it Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Other health problems?
Welcome to the Dizzy Club! I developed Morbus Meniere around 7 years ago - injections with Dexamethozone (spelling may vary, depending on the language) in the ear every six months actually helped to bring it under control and after a few years calmed it down considerably, to the point that I haven't needed an injection for a few years now, nor any other medicine (I never could tolerate Betaserc)
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Smile

Some of us have perhaps one or two other issues, and a few of us have a list of 'issues'. I have a genetic blood disorder (popped up at age 49) that causes me to create clots - so am on blood thinners (and testing) for life. Since 1979 I have had 12 major joint surgeries (six were just scopes), left knee replaced, right hip replaced, right shoulder rebuilt - and now right knee replacement coming as soon as I can get put on the schedule (2-6 weeks). Been in Pain MGNT for many years.

I've got a few other random things going on, but the above is my primary focus currently.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Spook,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have what they call, sub-clinical hypothyroidism, and I take thyroid medication for that.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about three years ago, and now have learned that is linked to sleep apnea. bummer
S
Post Reply Post Reply
My diagnosis list is long. I've often joked about getting a business card with all of the acronyms and abbreviations of them all listed after my name so it looks like I am someone very, very important. Laugh-a-lotOh-jeezEat-popcorn

The main one, and the cause of some of the others, is the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type. It is totally unrelated to sleep apnea.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2014, 05:49 AM)Spook Wrote: Just wondering how many others here have a medical condition apart from apnea?

In addition to SA, which I may have had for 50+ years before being diagnosed, I've had Prostate cancer (in remission) severe cardiac issues including 6 cardiac arrests, many stents and more to come and a 3 lead ISD pacemaker with defib. Oh, I almost forgot type 2 diabetes as well.

I sometimes wonder why we fight death?
I-love-CPAP Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest medical bummer in my life is my hands. Unable to take any form of NSAID again, my hands are slowly becoming claws. I now type with three fingers and one thumb - they talk about 'hot wax' soaks, and acupuncture (NEEDLES!!!) - of course, not covered by Medicare. Not so much a pain thing, they just won't do anything right any more. Oh well.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Health problems other than OSA:

1) Severe sporadic vertigo that is NOT related to Menieres Disease or Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). It is related to my migraines.

2) Chronic migraines. Mostly well controlled through prophylactic treatment. When the migraines are under control, the vertigo is usually under control.

3) Chronic tension headaches. Sort of under control, and I and my headache doc's PA are working on them.

4) TMJ issues, including TMJ-related headaches. Mostly under control with a custom-made guard. But it's taken a long time to find one that I won't just chew through like a rabbit eating a carrot.

5) Seasonal nasal allergies and sinus headaches. Not too much of a problem usually and can be dealt with by taking OTC meds and using a neti pot.

6) Borderline cholesterol and triglycerides. Attempting to keep them under control with diet, but I'm finding the dietary changes hard. Hoping in time I'll crave the carbs less than I do right now. (And I'm 5'1'' and weigh 110 lbs, so weight is NOT the primary cause for this.)

7) Officially diagnosed with osteoporosis, but both my PCP and I think that it's premature to start taking anything since there's a good chance that the problem is just that I'm a tiny person with a lightweight frame to begin with. And the definition of "osteoporosis" is now statistical---and that means if you're a natural outlier statistically speaking, the screening test can be a false positive.

8) Delayed sleep phase.

9) Chronic insomnia.

Obviously the delayed sleep phase and chronic insomnia directly affect the quality of my sleep. How well controlled they are varies quite a bit from month to month. And I continue to work with my sleep doc on these two issues. And, unfortunately, both of them became far worse after I started CPAP therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 206 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 306 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,840 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.