Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oura Ring and O2
Oura Ring and O2
Have been using CPAP for 10 years now and currently have an AS 11. It is reports my AHI is decent but I would like to get regular data on O2 levels.

I have a recording wristband/finger Pulse Oxy that I use occasionally but would like something easier to use that I can wear every night. The existing unit works but is not all that comfortable and it is a bit of a chore to download and display data. So far the times I have used it it has detected no problems with SPO2 but use is not more than a couple times a year due to the hassle of using it  so I could be missing significant issues.

Has anyone used an Oura ring for every night SPO2 (I don't care about the other measures that much)?  If so, how well does it report SPO2 and how granular is that data?

Alternatively is anyone using something else that is comfortable, easy to use, and does good SPO2 reporting? I want to have something that can be used every night and automatically send the data to a PC or smartphone to avoid the whole "plug in every morning and download" nonsense.

FYI, the one I am using that works OK but is not especially user friendly is the Wellvue Sleep O2 Pulse-Oximeter so I would avoid anything like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wellue-Pulse-Oxim...09BB8QVFS/

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oura Ring and O2
After the Oura's healthy price tag, you will have to pay for the subscription service. I would have you consider the Wellue O2 Ring. After looking at the Oura's $300+ price, $180 looks like a deal and no subscription required. Big Grin

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had Wellue O2Ring after about 10 months with only using say few times a month around 8-10 Months, playing up not able read reading Digits on the Ring, not long after Died so gave up on it presumed the Battery Die & not replace? To expensive for its Life Span? Will NOT BUY AGAIN? Now just rely on My Fit Bit Charge Watch.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2023, 08:35 PM)ICEMAN Wrote: ....... Now just rely on My Fit Bit Charge Watch.

I don't have a problem with a watch as long as it is comfortable enough. In fact I have a Samsung Galaxy 3. The problem with it, and most watches, is that the SPO2 is only on demand instead of on a schedule, so they typically cannot give you a minute by minute all night log of SPO2, which is what we need. I have also found it to be more flaky as far as SPO2 accuracy, probably due to the wrist vs finger position.  Does the Fitbit do continuous overnight logging and, if so, how is the accuracy?
Post Reply Post Reply
Both the Samsung Watch 4 and Watch 5 do continuous O2 readings overnight.  However, they're not integrated with OSCAR, so there's no way to correlate with your PAP data.  The Wellue Ring, and a few others, ARE integrated.

So, it depends on what you want to achieve... Personally, I would probably upgrade my watch rather than buy the Oura ring.  But if I didn't have a smart watch to begin with, I would have bought the ring...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2023, 08:37 AM)dwedward Wrote: Both the Samsung Watch 4 and Watch 5 do continuous O2 readings overnight. .....

One issue I have had with the watches is that some features (such as ECG) do no work unless you have a Samsung Phone (I have always had Pixels and just got a new Pro 7). Do you know if all night SPO2 works with non-Sammy phones?

FYI, the new Pixel watch has the SPO2 sensor but it is not activated at this time and who knows if or when that will happen so that is not an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Does the Fitbit do continuous overnight logging and, if so, how is the accuracy?"

The Fitbit Versa2 logs overnight (or more accurately, when the watch believes you are sleeping), but the problem is that it does NOT display SpO2 versus time, but rather graphs changes in saturation versus time of day with a yaxis that is not really defined.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2023, 08:07 PM)dataq1 Wrote: "Does the Fitbit do continuous overnight logging and, if so, how is the accuracy?"

The Fitbit Versa2.....saturation versus time of day with a yaxis that is not really defined.

Wow, you would think they would have someone that actually understands this stuff to do the programming.  I have to wonder if they do not give percent saturation because they know it is not accurate and don't want to get sued.  

Thanks for the information, that watch is now off my list.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Wow, you would think they would have someone that actually understands this stuff to do the programming."

Oh, I think they do understand, they just don't want to the liability of actually reporting the original data, so they massage the original data into averages and deltas between averages and then let the consumer try to figure out what's going on.

Accuracy: Interesting topic, I think I found a reference from the FDA that said that the degree of accuracy required of a medical Oximeter was 4%. (The manufacturer has to demonstrate that their device is within 4% of an Arterial blood gas.) 

What I've never been able to discern is exactly what that 4% represents.   For example, if an arterial blood gas reports a 94% SpO2, would a medical (worn) device have acceptable accuracy if the worn device reports any value between 98 and 90, or is it 96 to 92 ? The other alternative is that the acceptable range is 4% of the blood gas (or  +/- 3.6 ).

In either event, even the fingertip (worn) medical hospital grade oximeters are not overwhelmingly accurate. 

For purposes of overnight monitoring an important issue is the precision. (will the device report the same value repeatedly despite being inaccurate). 

Accuracy measures how close results are to the true or known value. Precision, on the other hand, measures how close results are to one another.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2023, 09:59 AM)PAPAstro Wrote: One issue I have had with the watches is that some features (such as ECG) do no work unless you have a Samsung Phone (I have always had Pixels and just got a new Pro 7). Do you know if all night SPO2 works with non-Sammy phones?

FYI, the new Pixel watch has the SPO2 sensor but it is not activated at this time and who knows if or when that will happen so that is not an option.

Well, I have a Samsung phone (S20 Ultra) so I have no idea if it works with non-sammy phones.  However, you definitely need the Samsung Health App to make it work.  And further, it's in 2 different places in the App.  The first is in the sleep module which records REM, Deep, etc... there's a switch there you need to configure to say to measure blood oxygen while you're sleeping.  It's just a simple slider button.

Then, the Blood Oxygen section of Samsung Health will give you the summarized recordings from the watch in a history chart showing the range, a graphic bubble that shows today's results, and then time-span details from the watch.  The range will also appear in your sleep section of the app.

Note, the only time is does continuous monitoring is when you're not moving; for example when you're asleep.  I presume that's to reduce false positives caused by excessive movement while you're awake.  So, for instance, you couldn't run the continuous monitor while you're exercising... you'd have to do spot checks.  I have noticed that it will monitor by blood ox if I don't move much while watching TV though, so you don't have to be asleep; just not mobile...

Samsung Health is available for android phones of Android 8.0 and up.  Samsung health also works with Apple iOS 9.0 or greater.  Apparently there's some integration with Apple Health but I have no experience with that.  My wife has an iphone, but also has an apple watch... so we're incompatible!!  Too-funny

Hope that helps...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  O2 Ring vs Checkme O2 PaulaO2 48 2,275 02-24-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Exclaimation [Equipment] Sleep Tracking Ring Vako 7 350 02-14-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Vako
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,151 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 527 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.