Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Outdated machine
Outdated machine
Hello my cpap machine  is a 2012   I need a new one but insurance will not pay.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Outdated machine
(05-30-2019, 08:40 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote: Hello my cpap machine  is a 2012   I need a new one but insurance will not pay.

Have they told why they won't pop for a new one?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes  That is correct
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you seen your Doctor about your Sleep Apnea and prescribing a new machine for you?

That would be the first step.

Then the Doctor would submit that perscription to a Supplier /DME.

Then the DME sends it to your insurance for approval.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes  we have already done that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you need to give us a little more detail. What reason did the insurance company give for not paying for a new machine?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My bc/bs  insurance plan pays for  1  cpap machine  one time only.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, what are your options, buy a second hand one and keep the old one as a back up and change your insurance company.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2019, 07:17 AM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote: My bc/bs  insurance plan pays for  1  cpap machine  one time only.

I find that a bit odd, but then the whole insurance system is a bit odd to me.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance policies vary with regard to durable medical equipment (CPAP), but I think you should not accept this answer. Your machine is probably a Remstar System One 50 series, but might be as old as the M-Series. It is now 7-years old and has outlived its useful service life. Be sure to get your prescription for a new auto CPAP in hand. Ask your doctor for a copy of the prescription, and request that he specify Auto CPAP, and preferably to specify the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. The reason you want an auto CPAP is because it has been many years since your last sleep study and the auto CPAP can automatically determine your therapy pressure. Since your current CPAP pressure is 10.0, a good range of settings for Auto CPAP will be 8.0 to 14.0 in auto CPAP mode.

With a prescription in -hand, research your BC/BS in-network providers. You can call for a list of providers or research online at the BCBS website. Select the supplier (DME) you want to use and give them a call. Read our Dealing with a DME wiki for what to do http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...with_a_DME

The DME will research and explain your coverage through BCBS and take care of authorization. If after all is said and done it turns out you do not have coverage, or your copay and deductible are very high, you can choose to purchase a newer used device on outlets such as Craigslist, Offerup or Facbook Marketplace, or get a new machine from Supplier #33 who offers some of the lowest prices available on new equipment. A Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset costs about $600, and they offer complete setups with masks and tubing if needed.

Good luck, and don't take your first answer on coverage as truth until you have researched this. It would be very unusual for your policy not to include DME for CPAP, you just need to find a knowledgeable representative to talk to.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,391 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,869 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,343 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,792 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,285 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.