Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over 10+ Leak (L/Min) but still low AHI?
RE: Over 10+ Leak (L/Min) but still low AHI?
(07-24-2022, 11:49 AM)OpalRose Wrote: That explains the major leak rate we see on your graph.  

Stomach sleeping with a full face mask is probably the hardest to adapt to, as you are probably burying your face in the pillow and moving your mask, creating leaks.  

I feel that a more minimalistic mask like a nasal pillow "might" be better for stomach sleepers.  Have you ever tried one?  Of course if you mouth breathe, then you will still have a leak issue.

I'll let others that actually are stomach sleepers advise.

I think I’m going to try this one:  DME Link Removed

Search Supplier #1 for ResMed F30i full face mask.

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope an expert will correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it -- the best sleeping positions are (in order):
right side
left side
back
stomach

So you may get fewer leaks and more effective therapy is you can learn to sleep on your right side. Not sure why right is preferable to left.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, sleeping on the left side (from self perspective) is recommend due to right side being susceptible to acid reflux. When people say CPAP helped with their acid reflux, it's quite possible that change in sleeping position did instead.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2022, 05:52 PM)clownbell Wrote: I hope an expert will correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it -- the best sleeping positions are (in order):
right side
left side
back
stomach

So you may get fewer leaks and more effective therapy is you can learn to sleep on your right side. Not sure why right is preferable to left.

I've always heard that side sleeping was better too...especially for sleep apnea patients. But, it seems there are differing opinions on this. 
I think the supine sleep position works great for me. I've always felt more comfortable on my back. If you can get your PAP therapy dialed in effectively in that position, it seems better for eliminating mask leaks too. I've never understood how anybody could sleep on their stomach. It's the absolute worst position for your spine. 

I spend probably 95% of my sleeping time on my back and rarely have an AHI over 0.5. I have COPD and it seems to help with my breathing overall. This study seems to support that. I guess comfort is the main thing with sleeping positions.

https://www.healthline.com/health/sleep/...t-you-need
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 676 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.