Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over-Pressure
Over-Pressure
Hello, I am newley diagnosed and have been using my ResMed s9 Autoset for just a week now with a Quattro Air full face mask that was given to me.

I was so relieved to get a diagnosis and lookforward to getting some satisfying nights sleep.

All seemed fine for the first few days, although feels unusual, and a little claustraphopic wearing the mask.

Over the last three of nights however I have been woken up my the machine sending what seems a very high air pressure into my mask, so much so its impossible to sleep. And now I can't get off to sleep as I am waiting for the over peressure to come and sure enough it does.

I am wondering wether looking through the menu lists on the machine whether I have in advertantley adjusted a setting by mistake?

Can anyone tell me is this normal and is just something I have to get used to. Because as it is I can't see how I can ever get to sleep with happeneing?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Kind regards
Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Over-Pressure
It's very difficult to accidentily change settings. When you hit the "i" button in the morning, are you seeing a green "happy face" or a red "frowny face" (leaking). What is your AHI?

If you are getting a good seal on your mask, getting green happy face and have a low AHI, it could just be you getting used to everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 07:47 AM)Cornet_Chris Wrote: Over the last three of nights however I have been woken up my the machine sending what seems a very high air pressure into my mask, so much so its impossible to sleep.

Push the RAMP button when that happens. If it continues to bother you discuss with your doctor the option of lowering your maximum pressure setting.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think sometimes the S9 is just sent out with their factory default settings. That was true in my case. It starts at a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 20. The theory of course is the Resmed will figure out the best therapy for your situation. That's true, but then we add a full face mask that can have random leak issues, especially to begin with. So my decidedly uneducated opinion albeit backed up by my own experience is the Resmed can get a little confused over all of this, and in it's exhuberance to provide us with a nice time, decide to blow our socks off.

The cure is to determine what your appropriate range is, and adjust the machine accordingly. For openers, talk to your sleep docs and see if they determined a recommended pressure for you from your sleep test. Let's say that pressure was 12 (as an example). Then I would suggest setting the machine on a minimum of perhaps 10, and a maximum of perhaps 14. Install the Sleepyhead software to monitor your results for a few days and see if you are well served in the suggested range. Then small changes up or down can be made until you find your own sweet spot.

Anyhow, I do know the blast of pressure you are talking about and the above is how I solved it for myself.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cornet_Chris,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies, and the welcome to the forum. I will try and get to see my Doc soon to discuss...on a different topic, can I download ResScan 4.3 as looking on the ResMed website its for clinicians only? if not is there any other software I can copy and read the SD card data on?

Thanks again Smile
Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 11:51 AM)Cornet_Chris Wrote: Thanks for all the replies, and the welcome to the forum. I will try and get to see my Doc soon to discuss...on a different topic, can I download ResScan 4.3 as looking on the ResMed website its for clinicians only? if not is there any other software I can copy and read the SD card data on?

Thanks again Smile
Chris

You can download Rescan and we have a link here for you to use. It is supposed to be for clinicians only so sometimes the sleep docs will give you static for using it. That's not a big deal unless of course the Resmed police force storm your house.

We also have Sleepyhead which I feel is a superior product for our use. So here's a link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Retired_guy, I have now downloaded sleepyhead and will give it a go.

And thanks once again to all. Its great to know there are others out there who know what I am talking about.

After yet another turbulent night, I spoke to the technician at the sleep clinic today who told me the problems I was describing was most likley because of mask leakage, so it seems that I am not fitting it properly, I'm going back in on Friday to be shown again, I thought I had it on ok and all seemed ok the 1st two nights, strange how I have suddenly got it all wrong but its all trial and error until i get the methods down to a fine art I suppose....here's looking forward to a good night sleep on Friday night..

Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgive the question but I always wonder about posts referencing "high pressure".

What tells you that the pressure is high? What do you actually experience?

Pressure is nigh on impossible to experience directly -- it is only pressure DIFFERENTIAL that we feel.

Two main places this differential will show up:

Chipmunk cheeks if you have an FFM or Oral mask since the pressure outside your cheeks is lower and cheeks are fairly 'loose'.

Wind -- and wind is almost always LEAKS.

If the issue is WIND, then it might be partly due to a pressure increase (it only finds its way out to create the leak at higher pressures) but it is the wind of the leak we experience and not the pressure per se.

The reason for thinking of it this way is that if the issue is WIND then fixing the leak may be the best course.

Is there some other way you are sensing the "pressure"?

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 07:05 AM)Cornet_Chris Wrote: After yet another turbulent night, I spoke to the technician at the sleep clinic today who told me the problems I was describing was most likley because of mask leakage, so it seems that I am not fitting it properly, I'm going back in on Friday to be shown again,
Thinking-about

Sounds like your tech is on this. Good on him. While you're getting your mask retrained, ask him about moving to a pillows mask, perhaps if necessary with a chinstrap. That's what ultimately made the difference for me. Now my socks never leave my feet unless I want them to. Which I do every other Saturday.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.