Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quatro
Humidifier: Respitionics System One
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 20 Auto
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: Started Therapy November 2007

Sex: Male
RE: Over a month and AHI's still high
I had never heard of AHI until two months age when I got the first results from my new ACPAP. The provider attached a blue tooth device to it to verify for the insurance company that I was using it. After the first month I returned the blue tooth device and asked for a report.

I was told every thing looked good except that my AHI was 6.1 and should be lower. My minimum pressure was at 5 and I was told the Doctor would probably want to raise it. Since I know how to do that I started raising the pressure .5 at a time until I reached 9.

My AHI is now 3.9. Since normal is 1 to 4 I'm going to try 9.5 and get the AHI to the middle of the normal range.

I had thought that an ACPAP machine would make all of the correct settings, but evidently not.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 01:16 PM by gondolabob.)
03-06-2015 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(03-06-2015 01:14 PM)gondolabob Wrote:  My AHI is now 3.9. Since normal is 1 to 4 I'm going to try 9.5 and get the AHI to the middle of the normal range.

I had thought that an ACPAP machine would make all of the correct settings, but evidently not.

Auto's can be set to "auto mode," or "cpap mode." Lots of times docs order auto machines but dummy them down by setting them to a specific cpap pressure.

If it were my cute little machine, and even cuter little body, I think I'd set it to auto, minimum of 7, maximum of 12 and see what happens.
03-06-2015 01:43 PM
gondolabob Offline

Members

Machine: Respirionics System One Auto CPAP With Humidifier
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quatro
Humidifier: Respitionics System One
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 20 Auto
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: Started Therapy November 2007

(03-06-2015 01:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 01:14 PM)gondolabob Wrote:  My AHI is now 3.9. Since normal is 1 to 4 I'm going to try 9.5 and get the AHI to the middle of the normal range.

Auto's can be set to "auto mode," or "cpap mode." Lots of times docs order auto machines but dummy them down by setting them to a specific cpap pressure.

If it were my cute little machine, and even cuter little body, I think I'd set it to auto, minimum of 7, maximum of 12 and see what happens.

The machine is set to auto mode. That was the reason for getting the machine, that and for the exhale pressure relief feature. It was originally set to 5 minimum and 20 max. My actual average is 11 plus and the max is a little over 13. I see no reason to change the max since my AHI isn't below normal and the max of 20 is not causing any problems.
03-06-2015 02:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Happy to hear you have this all figured out. Good job.
03-06-2015 03:31 PM
Gulfbreezey Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560
Mask Make & Model: PR Nuance
Humidifier: PR heated matches CPAP
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(03-06-2015 02:41 PM)gondolabob Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 01:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  

The machine is set to auto mode. That was the reason for getting the machine, that and for the exhale pressure relief feature. It was originally set to 5 minimum and 20 max. My actual average is 11 plus and the max is a little over 13. I see no reason to change the max since my AHI isn't below normal and the max of 20 is not causing any problems.

I have a Respironics and their literature says the A-Flex doesn't work with a minimum pressure less than 6. Just saying.
03-06-2015 04:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

(03-06-2015 04:24 PM)Gulfbreezey Wrote:  I have a Respironics and their literature says the A-Flex doesn't work with a minimum pressure less than 6. Just saying.

meaning that at 5 there is no relief, but as soon as it bumps up to 6 the relief kicks in. it can be startling to the un-initiated.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-06-2015 09:38 PM
Gulfbreezey Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(03-06-2015 09:38 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 04:24 PM)Gulfbreezey Wrote:  I have a Respironics and their literature says the A-Flex doesn't work with a minimum pressure less than 6. Just saying.

meaning that at 5 there is no relief, but as soon as it bumps up to 6 the relief kicks in. it can be startling to the un-initiated.

QAL

Oh! Thanks, that makes more sense than what I thought. That would be because it's not difficult to exhale against 4 or 5 I assume. Do you think 2 is a good setting for the A-flex then? With my number of CA's would it help to raise the A-flex setting?
03-07-2015 08:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

personally, I felt the best when Aflex was turned off. When my pressure was 6 to start, and never above 9, and my exhale pressure was same as my inhale pressure. I spent 45 nights at that setting before I felt I needed to change to try to keep pitting edema in control. I noticed a reduction in CAs, not a huge amount, but some.

[by the way, edema in control, I think, and I am not really sure how much the switch to Aflex=1 had to do with it. Am seriously thinking of switching back to Aflex off.]

There are others that have noticed less CAs with the difference between inhale pressure and exhale pressure is reduced or eliminated.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-07-2015 06:08 PM
Gulfbreezey Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

Good news! My doctor agreed to a new pressure prescription! He sent it to the DME today so I'm hopefull they'll get it applied tomorrow! He agreed to 6 to 11. Will let you all know how it does. I really appreciate all the great help and advice given here!
03-11-2015 09:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,166 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 559 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI index has taken a nose dive the past month pdbabb66 32 1,327 11-09-2016 05:58 PM
Last Post: pdbabb66
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 606 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 407 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Symptoms of pressure being too high?? MrEGuy 4 561 10-19-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: EnigmaGrey
  Why Are AHI High When Wide Awake? Dreams of Green 7 647 10-18-2016 09:35 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear