Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over a month and AHI's still high
RE: Over a month and AHI's still high
I had never heard of AHI until two months age when I got the first results from my new ACPAP. The provider attached a blue tooth device to it to verify for the insurance company that I was using it. After the first month I returned the blue tooth device and asked for a report.

I was told every thing looked good except that my AHI was 6.1 and should be lower. My minimum pressure was at 5 and I was told the Doctor would probably want to raise it. Since I know how to do that I started raising the pressure .5 at a time until I reached 9.

My AHI is now 3.9. Since normal is 1 to 4 I'm going to try 9.5 and get the AHI to the middle of the normal range.

I had thought that an ACPAP machine would make all of the correct settings, but evidently not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 01:14 PM)gondolabob Wrote: My AHI is now 3.9. Since normal is 1 to 4 I'm going to try 9.5 and get the AHI to the middle of the normal range.

I had thought that an ACPAP machine would make all of the correct settings, but evidently not.

Auto's can be set to "auto mode," or "cpap mode." Lots of times docs order auto machines but dummy them down by setting them to a specific cpap pressure.

If it were my cute little machine, and even cuter little body, I think I'd set it to auto, minimum of 7, maximum of 12 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 01:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 01:14 PM)gondolabob Wrote: My AHI is now 3.9. Since normal is 1 to 4 I'm going to try 9.5 and get the AHI to the middle of the normal range.

Auto's can be set to "auto mode," or "cpap mode." Lots of times docs order auto machines but dummy them down by setting them to a specific cpap pressure.

If it were my cute little machine, and even cuter little body, I think I'd set it to auto, minimum of 7, maximum of 12 and see what happens.

The machine is set to auto mode. That was the reason for getting the machine, that and for the exhale pressure relief feature. It was originally set to 5 minimum and 20 max. My actual average is 11 plus and the max is a little over 13. I see no reason to change the max since my AHI isn't below normal and the max of 20 is not causing any problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Happy to hear you have this all figured out. Good job.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 02:41 PM)gondolabob Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 01:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote:

The machine is set to auto mode. That was the reason for getting the machine, that and for the exhale pressure relief feature. It was originally set to 5 minimum and 20 max. My actual average is 11 plus and the max is a little over 13. I see no reason to change the max since my AHI isn't below normal and the max of 20 is not causing any problems.

I have a Respironics and their literature says the A-Flex doesn't work with a minimum pressure less than 6. Just saying.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 04:24 PM)Gulfbreezey Wrote: I have a Respironics and their literature says the A-Flex doesn't work with a minimum pressure less than 6. Just saying.

meaning that at 5 there is no relief, but as soon as it bumps up to 6 the relief kicks in. it can be startling to the un-initiated.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 09:38 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 04:24 PM)Gulfbreezey Wrote: I have a Respironics and their literature says the A-Flex doesn't work with a minimum pressure less than 6. Just saying.

meaning that at 5 there is no relief, but as soon as it bumps up to 6 the relief kicks in. it can be startling to the un-initiated.

QAL

Oh! Thanks, that makes more sense than what I thought. That would be because it's not difficult to exhale against 4 or 5 I assume. Do you think 2 is a good setting for the A-flex then? With my number of CA's would it help to raise the A-flex setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
personally, I felt the best when Aflex was turned off. When my pressure was 6 to start, and never above 9, and my exhale pressure was same as my inhale pressure. I spent 45 nights at that setting before I felt I needed to change to try to keep pitting edema in control. I noticed a reduction in CAs, not a huge amount, but some.

[by the way, edema in control, I think, and I am not really sure how much the switch to Aflex=1 had to do with it. Am seriously thinking of switching back to Aflex off.]

There are others that have noticed less CAs with the difference between inhale pressure and exhale pressure is reduced or eliminated.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news! My doctor agreed to a new pressure prescription! He sent it to the DME today so I'm hopefull they'll get it applied tomorrow! He agreed to 6 to 11. Will let you all know how it does. I really appreciate all the great help and advice given here!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,414 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.