Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over one year on CPAP......
Smile 
Over one year on CPAP......
Well, I haven't posted a lot in the past few months... for many reasons but the main one being I still love using my CPAP!! I must be one of the lucky people as I loved it right from the word go. I had some mask seal issues and found it was when the weather got colder I needed to either heat my bedroom more or use a heated hose.

What I have noticed a drastic change in my life on are:

* No more afternoon naps
* no more reflux during the night
* not waking during the night / no need to go to the loo
* much more alert
* I was frequently waking with a swollen uvula - hasn't happened and I feel "safer" going to sleep now knowing I am not going to wake choking or gasping for air

Lastly I enjoy the sound of my machine - it keeps me from listening to other noises... it puts me to sleep quicker

The only thing that didn't change was that I still wake up feeling like I have been "hit by a truck" and I still need about 10 hours of sleep per night... turns out I have some kind of arthritis - just had extensive tests done and find out soon but they think it's the same hereditary condition both of my brothers have ankylosing spondilitis.

The bottom line is I am so happy my life long problems are being diagnosed and treated and I can start functioning more normally and enjoying living again!

I have appreciated the help I have got from this forumThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Over one year on CPAP......
Great to hear of your success Ulrika! Hopefully a year down the track I will be making a similar post having just begun my journey Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope you do get settled into the new normal quickly! It is worth the early days of waking up adjusting the mask, feeling strange and wondering if you will be able to accept using this hose/ mask FOREVER. Keep it up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ulrika,
CONGRATULATIonS ! on being on CPAP for over a year.
It's good to hear that you are having such GREAT success with the therapy and also that you are getting other things taken care of.
CONTINUED SUCCESS!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Very motivating to hear of your success, thanks for sharing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2013, 04:12 AM)Ulrika Wrote: The only thing that didn't change was that I still wake up feeling like I have been "hit by a truck" and I still need about 10 hours of sleep per night...

Hi Ulrika,

Thanks for the update!

Is there anything you can share about your sleep data, like if you are having central events?

Are you using EPR? Sometimes EPR can improve sleep quality. But sometimes it can reduce it, so best to look at your sleep data.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Checking my diagnostics - the past 90 days:

Average daily usage: 8.39hrs
AHI 0.6
Apnea Index 0.5
Obstructive 0.2
Central 0.2
Hypopnea Index 0.1

At diagnosis on the 19th January 2012

Obstructive Apnea (total) 110 52.1%
Central Apnea (total) 1 0.5%
Longest Hypopnoea 58.9 sec
Longest Apnoea 91.1 sec

NREM AHI 29/ hr
*Supine NREM AHI 72/ hr
REM AHI 26/ hr
Total AHI (N> 5/hr) 28/ hr

Conclusion: Moderate obstructive sleep apnoea, associated with minimal snoring and moderate oxygen desaturation. Minimal supine positioning may have underestimated degree of sleep disordered breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,624 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,478 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  It's Been Almost a Year With My aPAP, Still Need Help AP0011 2 307 01-20-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Last year, AHI <1. This year, AHI >5. WTF? srwilsn3 14 800 12-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Medicare cpap 5 year replacement policy Sonno 4 575 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sonno
  Help for my 8 year old! Teeleidor 7 729 08-14-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  [Diagnosis] Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds Dire 2 501 08-09-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.