Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
I had an interesting conversation with my primary care doctor yesterday. We were talking about my CPAP and he mentioned that there's a group of physicians (himself included) who think standard Auto CPAP devices should be available over the counter without any prescription. It kind of blew me away since I hadn't ever heard of any doctors promoting that idea before.

Just wanted to share... 

Cheers! 
Alshayed
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
Nice to hear a Doctor saying that. Now if someone could convince the government to do that. The Dangers of CPAP are much less than the Dangers of Acetaminophen. Last time I looked Tylenol was still a over the counter drug.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My GP has said the same thing. That she doesn't understand why it is a prescription item.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, think about it…

Hint: $$$

… whadda ya think?
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty sure that the only reason they are prescription in Ontario is that if you have it prescribed, our OHIP will cover most of the expense.

But that raises a whole new can of worms...

See... when I started therapy, I knew for a fact that I needed an APAP. They started me with one before my titration study, and from day one I was compliant. Used it for 3 weeks with no issue. Then they dumped the data, set me up a fixed CPAP set to a pressure of 19... and I couldn't use it. 2 days later I was in the RT's office - and my doctor's solution was "set it to 16 and 45 minutes ramp." No go. Here, the criteria that OHIPs Assistive Devices Program uses to determine if an APAP can be prescribed is pretty straightforward. If you can document a change in required pressure of 5 points overnight, or if you *cannot* be compliant with a fixed CPAP, they will accept a script for APAP and pay most of the cost of the machine. I think it's 80%.

My doctor knew better than me - he "doesn't like to prescribe APAP." I bought my first machine myself, with a prescription that I demanded from him, that he only provided on the condition that he wouldn't authorize it for ADP. I bought a new machine a couple weeks ago, without bothering the quack. There are a couple choices here that don't require a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here in Oz a prescription is not necessary. The sleep doctors' union has tried to get this changed, but so far without success - thankfully. I agree with the earlier comment - it's all about the dollars.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 11:35 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Here in Oz a prescription is not necessary. The sleep doctors' union has tried to get this changed, but so far without success - thankfully. I agree with the earlier comment - it's all about the dollars.

Yet when I started off with a loaner the DME wanted a prescription for that. I knew that it wasn't required but rather than change to a new loaner company (because I was in experimentation mode) I simply got my GP to write one. The lady at the DME said that it wasn't valid and I asked her what her understanding of a prescription was. Could she define it according to Australian law. She reluctantly gave me the new machine because she didn't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 11:09 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Pretty sure that the only reason they are prescription in Ontario is that if you have it prescribed, our OHIP will cover most of the expense.  

It's very simple, sleep labs (read Drs) get the recurring business (you're on CPAP for life), and the only way to force you to come back is the prescription. 
Oh, almost forgot, that and the threat of informing the Ministry of Transportation that you're not compliant and present the risk while driving, hence your driving licence should be suspended until you come back for a regular sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I did not realize a script was necessary.  

If it is (was) required for me then I suppose I got one from my doctor as part of the process of needing CPAP therapy and equipment.  Perhaps when I started my CPAP journey I was so exhausted that I did not really care about the steps necessary to obtain an end to my means of exhaustion-  my apathy towards life at that time is an attitude to which I do not want to return.  

I purchase accessories and replaceable items from a supplier listed within this website such as filters, heated hoses, pillows, etc. and those do not require a prescription from a doctor.  Those outlets also sell machines.  Are you telling me that if I were a regular Joe that I could not buy from them unless I have my doctor's permission?  If so, I did not realizes this.

I guess my experience was so hassle free from the sleep test, to doctor consultation to picking up the items from the local DME to eventually have a much better quality of life now that I really do not care if I needed a 'scription. 

I will agree with others in that behind most regulations there are dollar $ign$ chasing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone know who we would lobby in the US to drop the prescription requirement? I think insurance would still require it to cover supplies but right now it's a huge barrier to get started with the current overall situation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 207 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,873 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 314 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 571 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 985 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 351 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 851 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.