Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
RE: Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
I would start with the manufacturers, perhaps they would help if they see the benefit of selling their machines without the prescription...
DMEs are not the ally, as they would fight to protect their margins.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2018, 11:02 AM)ycsi Wrote: I would start with the manufacturers, perhaps they would help if they see the benefit of selling their machines without the prescription...

It's the FDA actually.  They regulate the manufacturers.  You'd still need a script if you wanted insurance to cover it, but like wheelchairs and walkers, chances are, once it doesn't require a script at all, everybody will pay out of pocket.   Many insurance companies no longer cover wheelchairs or walkers unless there is a long term need. The FDA does not regulate used machines, so right now, that works great for many. 

The real problem you have is folks trying to imply that it is 'dangerous medical equipment' as California's statute currently reads.  This is total nonsense - as mentioned, acetaminophen has far more bad side effects than cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2018, 09:43 AM)alshayed Wrote: Does anyone know who we would lobby in the US to drop the prescription requirement? I think insurance would still require it to cover supplies but right now it's a huge barrier to get started with the current overall situation.

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  But it is only a huge barrier if your hope is for insurance to pay for it.

If you're not concerned about insurance paying for it, it's extremely easy to get a machine, mask, etc. shipped overnight via various websites, without an Rx.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2018, 11:39 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 11:02 AM)ycsi Wrote: I would start with the manufacturers, perhaps they would help if they see the benefit of selling their machines without the prescription...

It's the FDA actually.  They regulate the manufacturers.  You'd still need a script if you wanted insurance to cover it, but like wheelchairs and walkers, chances are, once it doesn't require a script at all, everybody will pay out of pocket.   Many insurance companies no longer cover wheelchairs or walkers unless there is a long term need.  The FDA does not regulate used machines, so right now, that works great for many. 

The real problem you have is folks trying to imply that it is 'dangerous medical equipment' as California's statute currently reads.  This is total nonsense - as mentioned, acetaminophen has far more bad side effects than cpap.

That would be my worry if the required RX is dropped. Like with my wife she is on 2 different meds prescribed by our Dr. both are now available as OTC and now even with a script are no longer covers by anything. Thankfully Walmart has them on their $4 list for meds not covers or for folks with no coverage. We would never be able to afford my cpap or supplies if it wasn’t for Medicare.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2018, 11:39 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: ... as mentioned, acetaminophen has far more bad side effects than cpap.

Does CPAP have any bad side effect?
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
It affects intimacy...  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a very informative presentation from Dr Jamieson from Sleep Medicine Associates Of Texas: http://www.sleepmed.com/wp-content/uploa...ffects.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2018, 09:43 AM)alshayed Wrote: Does anyone know who we would lobby in the US to drop the prescription requirement? I think insurance would still require it to cover supplies but right now it's a huge barrier to get started with the current overall situation.
That is a great idea, I hope we get a good answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2018, 11:11 AM)ycsi Wrote:
(08-03-2018, 11:09 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Pretty sure that the only reason they are prescription in Ontario is that if you have it prescribed, our OHIP will cover most of the expense.  

It's very simple, sleep labs (read Drs) get the recurring business (you're on CPAP for life), and the only way to force you to come back is the prescription. 
Oh, almost forgot, that and the threat of informing the Ministry of Transportation that you're not compliant and present the risk while driving, hence your driving licence should be suspended until you come back for a regular sleep study.

Yeah really.

It's a shame for my sleep dr.  I never went back after the first annual checkup.  At which point I walked in with a years worth of ResMed reports showing that my opinion was correct and I met the criteria for an APAP prescription.  Pretty sure he never looked at it.  So I really don't know how he could possibly comment on my compliance.

I have 8 years worth of data now... I look forward to the conversation about compliance, one day. :-) ROFL.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2018, 02:29 AM)bonum.noctem Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 11:39 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: ... as mentioned, acetaminophen has far more bad side effects than cpap.

Does CPAP have any bad side effect?

Aerophagia is the only one that comes to mind (it can be excruciating for some) as far as healthy people are concerned.  For the most part, if you are part of this board and using Sleepyhead, I don't think it has bad side effects.  However, if you are in a room with 30 diabetics, only 2 actually regularly test their BG on a regular basis.  So, how many folks who buy machines and skip the doctor actually monitor their condition?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 212 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,879 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 314 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 572 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 986 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 351 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 852 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.