Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
RE: Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor
Kitchen knifes and work tools (angle grinders come to mind) are far more dangerous than CPAPs and unregulated everywhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
CHanlon, I’m also in Ontario ... my doctor had no problem prescribing APAP ... but he’s been hopeless at getting me to a place where I’m getting good results. Maybe we have the same quack as a doctor? Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 11:09 PM)CHanlon Wrote: See... when I started therapy, I knew for a fact that I needed an APAP.  

I’m curious what made you certain that APAP was what you needed?
Post Reply Post Reply
Good observations.

There should be no need for prescriptions.
Prices are too high here in the Ontario area; I bought my last machine used without a prescription.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL,
It's all about $$$! In Ont. I believe healthcare to cover the sleep study then if you're eligible ADP pays for 75% of the machine. You can get it online from Papsmart , - resmed air sense 10 auto ( complete kit ) and mask for $749. In Qc., healthcare will cover a sleep study( hospital or DME ).  

In Qc., healthcare will cover a sleep study (hospital or DME ) & if you don't have insurance, you're on your own. Since DME's stick together & that most people don't know where to buy, the same machine & mask will cost you $2000. at the DME.( barely or no follow up included ), so don't feel too bad.      

Bag-head     snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 11:10 AM)snorybob Wrote: DaveL,
It's all about $$$! In Ont. I believe healthcare to cover the sleep study then if you're eligible ADP pays for 75% of the machine. You can get it online from Papsmart , - resmed air sense 10 auto ( complete kit ) and mask for $749. In Qc., healthcare will cover a sleep study( hospital or DME ).  

In Qc., healthcare will cover a sleep study (hospital or DME ) & if you don't have insurance, you're on your own. Since DME's stick together & that most people don't know where to buy, the same machine & mask will cost you $2000. at the DME.( barely or no follow up included ), so don't feel too bad.      

e.

Bag-head     snorybob.

Thanks. I know.

Dr Inouye was my sleep doc. He worked at Credit Valley Hospital. Toronto area. Ontario Canada.
I bought my second cpap machine humidifier and mask from the company he referred me to.  No substitutions. Buy what you're told to buy
Turns out the Hospital owned 1/2 the clinic franchise. Who owned the other half? Doctors?
Single Source. Clearly a kick-back.
That cpap machine cost me more out of my pocket than the best equipment I could have bought from a US vendor. An autopap would have cost lots less.

Follow the money. It's always the root caus
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL - Wow. What a con. :-(
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 09:11 PM)alshayed Wrote: I had an interesting conversation with my primary care doctor yesterday. We were talking about my CPAP and he mentioned that there's a group of physicians (himself included) who think standard Auto CPAP devices should be available over the counter without any prescription. It kind of blew me away since I hadn't ever heard of any doctors promoting that idea before.

Just wanted to share... 

Cheers! 
Alshayed

It was doctors who pushed OTC availability of certain drugs as well as Blood Glucose Monitors. There is no reason to restrict access when most people have reasonable use of the product. On the other hand, once it is available OTC, insurance/Medicare will no longer cover it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 11:35 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Here in Oz a prescription is not necessary. The sleep doctors' union has tried to get this changed, but so far without success - thankfully. I agree with the earlier comment - it's all about the dollars.

In NSW it seems to be required for a fixed pressure machine.  After all, how do you know what your pressure requirement would be, unless you have had a study and been told?  For an auto machine, no, doesnt seem to be needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 01:11 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: DaveL - Wow.  What a con. :-(

He was no help.

He made me stay on my first machine for 8+ years.

Then I got my second machine under his watch. He had me come in to show him that my machine was on enough hours to confirm that I was wearing a mask, and compliant.

I asked him that visit what was new with OSA treatment? He said nothing.  Oh, humidifiers. Heated hoses.  I had discovered this forum and new better.

I asked about monitoring my own performance? 
Indication of AHI and mask fit?

Sleepyhead?

He cautioned me about praciticing medicine without a license.  He said he was expert and had 3000 patients diagnosed and under treatment.

He retired later. Hallelujah! 
My replacement sleep doc was fired by the hospital before my appointment. I never returned for a sleep treatment there.

What I like about this forum is it gives me tools to take control of my own wellness, rather than lingering in dis-ease.

Dave
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 251 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,906 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 333 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 589 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 997 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 358 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 869 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.