Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overnight Pulse Oximeter for Mac/apple/iphone
Overnight Pulse Oximeter for Mac/apple/iphone
Hi All.
I'm looking for a basic pulse oximeter that records data (so I can use it overnight).

I like the CMS-50F

But the only issue is that I only have a mac computer and a apple iphone.

Will this sync with my mac computer?

Do I even need a computer to get the data (I just want to see what my O2 levels do overnight).

Could I sync the CMS-50F to the ContecMed PHMS Iphone app?

If not, is there another device that would be suitable?

Thanks[/align]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overnight Pulse Oximeter for Mac/apple/iphone
The supplied software from Contec only works on Windows computers. The SleepyHead software use the Silicon Labs driver to read the data into SleepyHead and synchronize it with the xPAP data. There are reports that there are problems with the Silicon Labs USB driver and the latest (10.9?) OS-X system. If you have an older version of OS-X it will probably work.
There is a Bluetooth version: the CMS-50FW which may work with Macs and SleepyHead, although I have not seen any reports on this version.
I'm not too thrilled with Contec support and documentation, but they are almost the only devices that work with SleepyHead.
I doubt that the USB device will work with the Iphone app, although the CMS50FW Bluetooth version might.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fergienz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2016, 09:55 PM)pholynyk Wrote: The supplied software from Contec only works on Windows computers. The SleepyHead software use the Silicon Labs driver to read the data into SleepyHead and synchronize it with the xPAP data. There are reports that there are problems with the Silicon Labs USB driver and the latest (10.9?) OS-X system. If you have an older version of OS-X it will probably work.
There is a Bluetooth version: the CMS-50FW which may work with Macs and SleepyHead, although I have not seen any reports on this version.
I'm not too thrilled with Contec support and documentation, but they are almost the only devices that work with SleepyHead.
I doubt that the USB device will work with the Iphone app, although the CMS50FW Bluetooth version might.

Thanks for all of this.

It's kind of annoying huh!
Are their any devices out there that work with an iphone?

I found the masimo pulse oximeter - and that records to an iphone, but it's VERY expensive for what it does Sad

Oh and I should mention, I downloaded the PHMS contec app on my iphone. It's very buggy but it works. Does this mean I could use the CMS50FW Bluetooth or 50E + BT and sync it to me iphone?

And if so - would it sync the overnight graph?
Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
Late last year I searched the 'zon for pulse oximeter devices and the Play Store (I have a Galaxy S3) for pulse oximeter apps. I wasn't happy with anything I found there, for various reasons. The biggest problem with all of them was that I couldn't get the data into SleepyHead. Since I'm already using an xPAP machine, I wanted to try to correlate the oximetry events with the apnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like I'm a few months late to respond, but I use an iMac running El Capitan (10.11.6) to download my CMS50F data to SleepyHead each morning. I used to first download my CPAP data, then synch my Pulse Ox data to it. Now I only monitor Pulse Ox data. 

(I like SleepyHead a great deal, but wouldn't mind exploring other CMS50F Pulse Ox data reporting software that runs on a Mac.)
Post Reply Post Reply
@tiredDogs - I think you are one of the first people I can recall reporting success downloading oximeter data to SleepyHead using El Capitan. Are you using the driver downloaded from the CP2102 website, or did El Capitan have the necessary driver already? Inquiring minds want to know...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 07:29 PM)pholynyk Wrote: @tiredDogs - I think you are one of the first people I can recall reporting success downloading oximeter data to SleepyHead using El Capitan. Are you using the driver downloaded from the CP2102 website, or did El Capitan have the necessary driver already? Inquiring minds want to know...

The only way I could tell for sure (a few years of sleep apnea blurs lots of memory) is to look for the installer file on my hard drive, which I found. The notes say this:

CP210x Macintosh OS X VCP Driver v4 Release Notes

Copyright © 2016 Silicon Laboratories Inc.

This release contains the following components:

* SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg - Image containing the VCP Driver Installer
* ReleaseNotes.txt (this file)
* uninstaller.sh - a bash shell script for removing the driver

Known Issues and Limitations
----------------------------

This release includes the Macintosh OSX driver for the Intel and
PowerPC Platforms versions 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 
10.9, 10.10 and 10.11.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, tD - it looks like they have updated the driver, then. That's good to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 03:49 PM)tiredDogs Wrote: (I like SleepyHead a great deal, but wouldn't mind exploring other CMS50F Pulse Ox data reporting software that runs on a Mac.)

tiredDogs, you could try SpO2 Assistant Review, the software that comes with your CMS50F. It will not work directly on your Mac computer, but if you run Windows on it, through VMware Fusion, or Parallels, it should be fine. It also gives you more info than SleepyHead, with regards to SpO2.

You can check this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...F-oximeter
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,221 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.