Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overnight Pulse Oximeter for Mac/apple/iphone
RE: Overnight Pulse Oximeter for Mac/apple/iphone
(04-10-2017, 01:04 AM)ppca Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 03:49 PM)tiredDogs Wrote: (I like SleepyHead a great deal, but wouldn't mind exploring other CMS50F Pulse Ox data reporting software that runs on a Mac.)

tiredDogs, you could try SpO2 Assistant Review, the software that comes with your CMS50F. It will not work directly on your Mac computer, but if you run Windows on it, through VMware Fusion, or Parallels, it should be fine. It also gives you more info than SleepyHead, with regards to SpO2.

You can check this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...F-oximeter
Thanks for that input. I had considered the possibility of using VMware Fusion, but your informing me about SpO2 Assistant Review providing more SpO2 data is really good incentive to do that. I'd really also like to compare data from both programs to confirm accuracy.
Much appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2017, 01:04 AM)ppca Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 03:49 PM)tiredDogs Wrote: (I like SleepyHead a great deal, but wouldn't mind exploring other CMS50F Pulse Ox data reporting software that runs on a Mac.)

tiredDogs, you could try SpO2 Assistant Review, the software that comes with your CMS50F. It will not work directly on your Mac computer, but if you run Windows on it, through VMware Fusion, or Parallels, it should be fine. It also gives you more info than SleepyHead, with regards to SpO2.

You can check this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...F-oximeter

I no longer use a PAP machine due to complex apnea, so am relying on ODi (oxygen desaturation index) data to let me know how well things are going (recording data from my CMS50F pulse oximeter). My sleep doc's guidelines for ODi is <5 is normal and <10 is okay. I started recording SpO2 on March 31, using SleepyHead to view data and generate reports. Then, on 4/15, I began to use SpO2 Assistant as well. I hoped ODi would report the same from both, but they do not.

With desaturations parameters set at 10 or more seconds with a SpO2 4% drop as an event on both SleepyHead and SpO2 Assistant, I am getting very different ODi values between the two programs. SleepyHead is always better, and sometimes ODi values are close, but sometimes the ODi values are very far apart. 

Last night, for instance, SH reported an ODi of 6.53 (with 48 desat events) before "automatic oximetry cleanup" and 3.54 (with 26 desat events) after "automatic oximetry cleanup". Both of those are pretty good (although I'd really like to understand "automatic oximetry cleanup" does). SpO2 Assistant, on the other hand, reported an ODi of 11.7 (with 86 desat events) , which is not good. I'm stymied - which value, if any, is accurate? Why is there such a discrepancy?

Anyone else have this experience, or insight as to what's up?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use my CMS50F only occasionally, and typically just check the chart and the total number and duration of events. I do it mostly in SpO2 Assistant, even though I always upload data to SleepyHead as well.

Honestly, I did not know what the OD index is. Now that you mentioned it, I looked into some of my previous results, and they are quite confusing.

First of all, I assume that the OD index is called SpO2 Drop in SleepyHead, and just Index in SpO2 Assistant. If I am looking into the right fields, here are the results from the last time I used my oximeter:

SpO2 Assistant:

Index - 3.8
Total events - 15

SleepyHead:

SpO2 Drop - 13.69
Total events - 84

As you can see, a huge difference. I have no idea what I'm looking at. Oh-jeez

For the record, AHI that night was 0.98, which is great.

Sorry I couldn't help you, but at least now you know you are not the only one confused about these SpO2 results. Hopefully somebody else here will have an explanation of what we are seeing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again ppca, for sharing what you found out about all things pulse-ox. With your night's AHI under 1, the SH SpO2 drop index (ODi) would appear to be more in line with how the AHI and ODi are expected to correlate. This would lead me to believe SH has the more reliable data, at least in this case. That is good news from my perspective.  

There are a couple of important software settings that will impact the ODi (SpO2 drop / Index) results. These settings should be set to the same values for both programs. I use a 4% drop with a minimum duration of 10 seconds to count as a desat event on both programs. In SH, these values can be set under SleepyHead>Preferences>Oximetry. In SpO2 Assistant, they can be set under Analysis Parameters. 
Of course, the 4% drop setting will count fewer events than the 3% drop setting, as would using longer intervals. (Medicare uses the 4% drop at a 10 sec. minimum to define an event.) Given that your ODi results in SH and SpO2 Assistant were so far apart, I'd guess these may be set differently. 

The settings need to be set before data is loaded. All my comparisons between the two programs are based on these parameters being identical, however, and results still vary between programs.

Appreciate your help tackling this. Figuring out whether my ODi is at least nearly accurate (or not) helps me a great deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops...I thought that my SH software was set to 4%, 10 sec drop, same as SpO2 Assistant, but I was wrong. Just checked it in preferences, and it was 3%, 8 sec. That would obviously affect the results.

Thank you for pointing this out, tiredDogs.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
And that would further improve your ODi with SH data crunching, which would widen the gap in results.
I sure would really like to understand the discrepancies and have confidence in the results.

The other very interesting, and perhaps somewhat nebulous, variable is one the programs sets: the base (or basal) SpO2 reading. That varies a bit night to night, established within the first few minutes of recording. A drop of 4 or more % below this base SpO2 determines whether or not readings might be event (as 4% is my setting). My base values run between 96 and 98, mostly 97 -- but it is easy to see how that would affect the ODi on any given night. The two programs don't always calculate the exact base SpO2 value, but they have been close.
Post Reply Post Reply
After changing ODi settings in SH (4%, 10 sec), I did a quick 3-hour overnight study. As expected, the results are much closer now:

SleepyHead shows ODi of 1.44 (8 events), compared to ODi of 3.5 (11 events) in SpO2 Assistant.

SpO2 in SH shows values of 90, 93 and 95 for min, med and 95%, respectively, while SpO2 Assistant shows 90 and 93.4 for min and basal SpO2, respectively.

All in all, I think I should be happy with these. There is still a difference in the number of total events between the 2 software programs, resulting in different values of ODi. Same as what you are experiencing, tiredDogs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for sharing your results.
I have also found that both programs report the same value for min SpO2 each time, but often report very different calculated values.

There is a definite difference between SH and SpO2 Assistant that we both see, starting the number of desats they flag. Add to that, the "automatic oximetry cleanup" option for SH, and it's a guess as to what may be an accurate report.

If all my results were under or close to an ODi of 5, I'd not be concerned. My SH reports are reassuring, but the SpO2 Assistant reports are rarely equivalent to SH, sometimes double or even triple SH reports.

Again, I appreciate seeing your reported values from SH & SpO2 Assistant; they correspond to the disparity I am seeing in my own reports between these two programs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having terrible trouble getting the CMS50F Contec oximeter to successfully download overnight data to 
SeepyHead even using the Silicon Labs serial driver. Any special tips or secrets?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2018, 11:18 AM)Alan R Baker Wrote: I'm having terrible trouble getting the CMS50F Contec oximeter to successfully download overnight data to 
SeepyHead even using the Silicon Labs serial driver. Any special tips or secrets?

Alan, I'm just wondering if you're able to download the data to other programs, such as SpO2 Assistant?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,226 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,850 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 93 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 676 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 231 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.