Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overnight oximeter for use with a Mac?
Overnight oximeter for use with a Mac?
Is there an overnight wearable oximeter for use with a Mac?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overnight oximeter for use with a Mac?
Not that I'm aware of. Your alternatives are to run a Windows version in Parallels or use SleepyHead. If you use the SleepyHead route, you will need to download the free Silicon Labs USB-UART driver.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, that driver and SleepyHead gave me very inconsistent results.  Some days it worked, and on others the data was just garbled up beyond use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use SleepyHead with a Mac.

If I switch to Windows and Parallels (or Fusion), will that version be able to read my previous SleepyHead Mac database with all the daily Notes I have added?

I've been wanting to buy an oximeter, but this incompatibility issue has been keeping me from doing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are already using SleepyHead on a Mac, you can use a Contec CMS50D+ or CMS50F if you download the Mac driver from Silicon Labs. As noted above, the direct download to SleepyHead can be finicky.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used this oximeter on my wrist for overnight recording: "CMS 50F PLUS OLED Wrist Color Pulse Oximeter with Innovo" (lookup on Amazon)

And then I have connected it to my mac and used SleepyHead to import and view the data. I was happy with the software.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick answer: Yes.
I bought a Contec CMS 50F v3.5 quite some time ago and downloaded the recommended drivers but could not get it to work.
Sleepyhead would not even recognise it.
Then I found pholynyk's post and downloaded the driver from Silicon Labs.
Bingo !
But be sure to select the correct model when you click on Oximeter in Sleepyhead or it - again - will not work.
The controls on the CMS-50F are finicky - you can only scroll down the menus and sometimes it is difficult for  YES/NO options to register and often need 2-3 attempts.
Apart from that everything works fine.
I have a desktop 27 iMac macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
p.s. The operating instructions for the Contec CMS 50-F are pathetic.
Strap the unit to your wrist...place the sensor on your finger...go to the CMS menu select RECORD - it will ask you to confirm YES?NO? (Be sure it registers - it might take 2 even 3 attempts. It it takes the menu will then show RECORD_ON.
To recover the data and show in  Sleepyhead :
Use the USB cable (supplied) and plug it into your Mac.
Click the Oximetry icon on the Sleepyhead screen.
The Oximeter Import Wizard screen opens.
Ensure you have the correct model set in the menu that presents on your Mac ...there are 3 choices.
On the wrist oximeter unit scroll down to UPLOAD and select ON.
The Oximeter Import Wizard screen on your Mac will change to downloading.
It is a good idea to have the wrist oximeter menu ready for selection before you open the Oximeter Import Wizard download screen as it will time out if you take more than a few seconds to select UPLOAD -ON on the wrist oximeter.
When you go back to the main Sleepyhead presentation you will see SPO2 box timelined with all the other data
Post Reply Post Reply
Using the CMS50-F:
I meant to add..
To be useful the oximeter must be in synch with the CPAP machine timeline. 
No problem if you have it all set up and hit start on the CPAP within a second or so of starting record on the wrist oximeter.
But if you get up in the night for a drink or whatever it is best to leave the wrist oximeter attached and running and avoid any problems synching the timeline to the breaks the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,219 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 673 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 808 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,867 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.