Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overwhelmed
Overwhelmed
I've just been informed that I have apnea. I just completed my second sleep study and am looking into getting a CPAP machine. I've been online trying to research them and have found almost no useful information. This forum appears to have a lot of information but most of it is going over my head.

I went into the store where my sleep clinic recommended I go and to be honest I felt like they were trying to sell me a timeshare. The professional politician I was talking to was able to babble on for 10 minutes after every question I asked without answering my question.

So I'm here to beg some guidance from the experts.

The information I was given from my first sleep study was that I sleep 52% of the time on my stomach and I have 0 events per hour, 16% on my side where I have 44 events per hour and 32% on my back where I have 101 events per hour.

The second study results, I haven't gone in for my follow up appointment yet so I'm just reading off the form they sent to the store that sells the CPAP machines.

12 cm of H20 DD
AHI 61.0
Low SpO2 80%

To be honest I feel like I have a better grasp on Voodoo than I do on apnea and CPAP machines. Google has shown me pricing and I haven't seen any dollar amount displayed yet that I wouldn't be willing to pay but I obviously don't want to over spend on it and deprive my kids of the newest Xstation Smile

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overwhelmed
Those are some pretty high numbers there. Do you have insurance or are you paying out of pocket? Have they told you what type of machine you should be looking at? For example APAP, CPAP, BiPAP, ASV? Do you have a sleep doctor or are you going at this solo?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh and Welcome

Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, jspence.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things work a little different in Canada; and even among the Provinces.
The thing that is universal is: They will try to push off a fixed pressure, dumb brick CPAP on you; and gouge you on the price.
We have a number of Canadians on the board who may help you.

You really want an Auto machine that is capable of recording full data; such that you can set a range of pressure bracketing the 8 cm-water prescribed. Just as one cannot predict the weather from one day in December; your CPAP needs will vary from night to night. You will likely be using the same machine for the next 5 years... so, choose wisely.

One of the best machines is the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. Will the Canadian NHS pay for it.. I do not know. I think you will have a large out of pocket payment anyway. You could buy from Supplier #2 and probably save a pile of money. Let's see what our Canadian members have to say.

BTW -- I love this line: "...I felt like they were trying to sell me a timeshare. The professional politician I was talking to was able to babble on for 10 minutes after every question I asked without answering my question." Most have experienced it. I don't think anyone has described the process with such eloquence.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 09:00 AM)AlanE Wrote: Those are some pretty high numbers there. Do you have insurance or are you paying out of pocket? Have they told you what type of machine you should be looking at? For example APAP, CPAP, BiPAP, ASV? Do you have a sleep doctor or are you going at this solo?

Insurance will pay $850 for the machine and $350 for the mask. The only thing mentioned to me was CPAP none of the other devices were mentioned. My insurance will cover APAP, CPAP, and BiPAP no mention of ASV. I only know what the APAP and CPAP are. I have a sleep doctor but my next appointment isn't until Feb 7.

This entire process happened very quickly and I'm struggling to keep up with what is going on. My cardiologist referred me for a sleep study because the wall thickness of my left ventricle on the high end of normal with no apparent cause.

I had my first sleep study and 3 days later they had me in for my appointment (that wasn't scheduled until late January) and I had the second sleep study that night. I can only assume that if they move this fast I have a real issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jspence. Welcome to the Apnea Board. You already have some good advice about getting a "Auto machine that is capable of recording full data; such that you can set a range of pressure bracketing the 8 cm-water prescribed. Just as one cannot predict the weather from one day in December; your CPAP needs will vary from night to night. You will likely be using the same machine for the next 5 years... so, choose wisely". From JM. If you wind up with a dumb machine (CPAP with no data) you will have no options to adjust your treatment to maximize your results. It certainly looks like you have a significant Obstructive Apnea problem. Unfortunately you will get better results from sewing a tennis ball to the back of your nightshirt than you will get from a dumb machine.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! I'm going to some other stores today, I can't buy from the timeshare people. I want to get this thing up and running.
Post Reply Post Reply
JSPence, my advise is to ask for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. This is an auto CPAP, meaning it can automatically adjust pressure within a specified range, to provide the best treatment. It also offers one of the most comfortable exhale pressure relief (EPR) options of any machine. Of course it provides full data. This will be a bit more expensive than the runner-up, which is the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto. With your pressure requirements I think the Autoset will give you the best possible treatment and comfort short of a true bilevel (BiPAP) machine, which provides separate inhale and exhale pressures, however a bilevel will cost twice as much.

The choice of mask is a personal one, and depends on whether you can tolerate nasal therapy, or if you must use a full face mask due to leaking from the mouth. The safest bet is to start with a nasal interface, and if that doesn't work out swap for a full-face. The lightest, quietest and fairly low-cost nasal mask is the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. This is a just a cushion with a couple hoses that matches up with your nostrils and applies pressure. It is also the easiest type of mask to seal because it simply rests under your nose, rather than trying to seal all around your nose.

Trying to keep it simple...

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you need a BiPAP or an Adaptive Servo-Ventilation (ASV) machine, the Airsense 10 can do both APAP and CPAP.

You mention an AHI of 61 but how do they break it down? Central, Obstructed, Hypopnea?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,190 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 898 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
Gross Just downloaded Oscar and overwhelmed imsmitty3 7 873 10-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 920 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,658 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Overwhelmed DotLove 11 1,521 07-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Diagnosis] Just diagnosed with mild OSA, overwhelmed and need some help tiredsam98 12 2,230 07-13-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.