Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overwhelmed
RE: Overwhelmed
(12-10-2016, 11:08 AM)AlanE Wrote: Unless you need a BiPAP or an Adaptive Servo-Ventilation (ASV) machine, the Airsense 10 can do both APAP and CPAP.

You mention an AHI of 61 but how do they break it down? Central, Obstructed, Hypopnea?

There is no break down on the form just that number. I don't even know what AHI means. I will most likely get a lot more information when I go to my next appointment, the previous one felt like it was a huge rush he basically told me it was bad and he needed me to come in that night for the second test.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Given the distribution of apnea-hypopnea per hour (AHI), where zero events on the stomach, more on the side and 101 AHI on his back, this sounds like it is simple obstructive sleep apnea. If his follow-up is a titration study to determine pressure, then much more information will be available; however I thought I saw something in post #1 about 12 cm H2O pressure. I am sticking with my original recommendation of the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset unless I'm missing something.

Jspence, the wiki on this site includes a Glossary of Terms http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions This is a great place to start to be able to speak the language of apnea. Also see the list of acronyms http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms We tend to toss around a lot of these, and this is a quick way to get up to speed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 08:36 AM)jspence Wrote: ... I just completed my second sleep study and am looking into getting a CPAP machine....

The information I was given from my first sleep study was that I sleep 52% of the time on my stomach and I have 0 events per hour, 16% on my side where I have 44 events per hour and 32% on my back where I have 101 events per hour.

The second study results ... I'm just reading off the form they sent to the store that sells the CPAP machines.

12 cm of H20 DD
AHI 61.0
Low SpO2 80%

Hi jspence,

You have Obstructive Sleep Apnea which is unusually strongly positional. You need an Automatic (self-adjusting) Positive Airway Pressure (APAP) machine.

Do not accept less than an APAP machine which reports the breakdown of central-nervous-system-caused apneas versus airway-obstruction-caused apneas ("Central Apnea Detection") and which records your airflow waveforms ("Flow" is the rate of airflow entering or exiting our lungs and being able to see the Flow waveform is sometimes important for finding and fixing problems).

A few people have OSA equally bad in all positions. Many have OSA in all positions but much worse in some position (usually when sleeping flat on the back).

In your case, apparently the OSA completely disappeared when sleeping on the stomach. But please understand that the first study (the "diagnostic" study) was based on a single night; on a different night the results might not have been quite as good for sleeping on your stomach. But likely the results would be nearly as good for sleeping on your stomach. Unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible to keep yourself from turning onto your side while asleep. Your OSA is very serious when on your side and even worse when on your back.

Your insurance might not cover an APAP machine unless you ask your doctor to write a prescription giving a range for pressure, such as 9-13 cm H2O instead of your present prescription which is a fixed (manually adjusted) pressure of 12.

APAP machines cost only a small amount more than CPAP machines and can all be set to operate in fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode, so it is not that an APAP machine can't be set to your present prescription of 12. In the USA often the insurance company doesn't care (covers the same price) for an APAP machine versus a CPAP machine, and it is merely the (lying) company trying to sell us the CPAP machine which claims they cannot legally sell an APAP machine unless the doctor changes the prescription.

Important info about different machine types:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vaughn. Good to hear your "voice". You make an excellent point about getting the prescription correct from the start. "Your insurance might not cover an APAP machine unless you ask your doctor to write a prescription giving a range for pressure, such as 9-13 cm H2O instead of your present prescription which is a fixed (manually adjusted) pressure of 12." jspence needs to get the prescription correct from the start or we will be talking about what could have been.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Great information guys. I really appreciate all the help. When I talked to my insurance company they said I was covered for CPAP, APAP and BPAP. I will stop at the doctors office on Monday and have him put APAP on the prescription. It doesn't change the amount of money I'm covered for but something is better than nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 04:53 PM)jspence Wrote: When I talked to my insurance company they said I was covered for CPAP, APAP and BPAP.

It might have been unmentioned but nonetheless a requirement that the prescription needs to match the machine.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr. put " Resmed S10 Auto" on on the prescription. Either I got lucky or I have a smart Dr.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Get your APAP and let us know how it goes for you. We all are on your side and wishing you to Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
A reminder about prescriptions. I was reminded today that my doc was supposed to put an ICD-10 diagnosis code on my test strips Rx. This is also done on blood tests. US Medicare is very sticky on this point.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,190 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 899 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
Gross Just downloaded Oscar and overwhelmed imsmitty3 7 873 10-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 920 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,661 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Overwhelmed DotLove 11 1,522 07-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Diagnosis] Just diagnosed with mild OSA, overwhelmed and need some help tiredsam98 12 2,230 07-13-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.