Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overwhelmed
RE: Overwhelmed
Hi jspence,
I'm in Canada and I bought online from CPAP Outlet (google it). I have a Respironics Dreamstation Pro but would suggest that if you go with the Dreamstation you choose this model rather: Respironics DreamStation Auto with Humidifier and Heated Tubing. It' s around $1000 and you'll need to provide a prescription. The sleep clinic tried selling me the same machine for twice the money, so don't rush buying something before doing some research! If they sent you to the store they should at least have informed you whether you need a CPAP, APAP or BiPAP... The machine I suggested is an APAP but can be set to CPAP (fixed)mode, so you get both for only a little bit more money and then you can decide what works better for you.
Edited to add: The distributor will set the machine pressure for you according to your prescription but with the help from this board you can learn to get into the settings yourself once you own it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had planned to get out and talk to some stores yesterday but by the time I got my weekend jobs done at 3pm they were all closed. I guess I should have looked at their hours first.

In Ontario we are covered by the province for $645 and I get an additional $215 from my insurance company for the machine and $360 for a mask.

None of the online places are on the list of approved vendors. I will call and ask if I can buy online, I'm assuming that I will be able to but I will have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think going into a supplier armed with the knowledge of what the online market is, will let you make better decisions. The services of a local provider are certainly worth something, but it should not double the price of your machine. Without a doubt, you will pay more in Ontario, than a couple hundred miles to the south.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ontario has a program called the Assistive Devices Program that 'helps' pay for durable medical equipment. The $645 you mentioned is the ADP payment for a CPAP machine, either dumb or full data capable. They will pay more for an APAP machine, but your titration test must show a greater than 4 cmH2O difference between positions (I think). They will not, apparently, allow you to pay the difference between the prescribed CPAP and the desired APAP machine. Do try to get your doctor to prescribe the APAP machine. At the very least, insist on a machine that records full breath-by-breath data, not just hours of use and aggregate indexes of events.
I have a pdf copy of the ADP document relevant to OSA, and I can't remember where I found it, but I could post it somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2016, 09:58 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Ontario has a program called the Assistive Devices Program that 'helps' pay for durable medical equipment. The $645 you mentioned is the ADP payment for a CPAP machine, either dumb or full data capable. They will pay more for an APAP machine, but your titration test must show a greater than 4 cmH2O difference between positions (I think). They will not, apparently, allow you to pay the difference between the prescribed CPAP and the desired APAP machine. Do try to get your doctor to prescribe the APAP machine. At the very least, insist on a machine that records full breath-by-breath data, not just hours of use and aggregate indexes of events.
I have a pdf copy of the ADP document relevant to OSA, and I can't remember where I found it, but I could post it somewhere.

I just got off the phone whit my doctors office the lady at the desk is going to ask the doctor if it can be changed to an auto. If it's just the pressure difference between positions I should be able to get it changed as I don't require any pressure when on my stomach.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news the Doctor just got back to me and they changed the prescription to the APAP. Apparently most people don't want to pay the extra cost of the APAP so they normally just prescribe the CPAP. I'm definitely glad I came here for guidance. I'll check in when I have more information.
Post Reply Post Reply
An informed person can get better service. Good for you in starting to take control.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good news. There will be lots of help here when you need fine tuning.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2016, 01:19 PM)jspence Wrote: Good news the Doctor just got back to me and they changed the prescription to the APAP. Apparently most people don't want to pay the extra cost of the APAP so they normally just prescribe the CPAP.

Ask for and keep a copy of your prescription. It may be needed when traveling or buying supplies on line.

Sounds like to avoid insurance problems the min and max pressures may need to be at least 4 different.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask for and keep a copy of your prescription. It may be needed when traveling or buying supplies on line.

[/quote] Sounds like to avoid insurance problems the min and max pressures may need to be at least 4 different.
[/quote]

4 different apart i.e. 10-14 or 7-11. That is a very good suggestion or why should the insurance help you pay for the higher cost. Just becuse you will be better served by an APAP ? they do not care.

It is little suggestions like that that can be very helpful Thanks vsheline

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,188 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 895 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
Gross Just downloaded Oscar and overwhelmed imsmitty3 7 871 10-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 920 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,656 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Overwhelmed DotLove 11 1,521 07-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Diagnosis] Just diagnosed with mild OSA, overwhelmed and need some help tiredsam98 12 2,227 07-13-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.