Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
I use a P10. The P10 works great for me. I welcome using it. I can breathe better with it than not using a mask at all.

P10 isn’t leaking, but my mouth flops open, even with a cervical collar.

I’m thinking I might want to own a full-face mask in addition, so I can experiment long-term and to use if I get a respiratory infection.

I don’t know if a full mask will even work for me because of jaw and face issues, so I’d need to try them on.

I have Medicare, so I’m on Medicare’s replacement schedule.

I have a DME that already tried to issue me used equipment in lieu of new. I’m not enthusiastic about involving them in a mask swap unless it will save me $$.

-Do y’all buy your own 2nd masks and replacement parts?
-How do you involve the DME to maximum effect and minimal dollars in purchasing a second mask?
-Can you suggest a strategy for addressing this? I’m entertaining ideas.

May be related to this question, has any one tried a Doctor Dakota instead of a cervical collar? It has a deeper chin rest and no height at the back.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
I started with an F20 AirFit and switched to a P10. I later bought the Amara View because I didn't like the F20. I had the same thinking of needing a FFM in case I got a cold. Turns out I got a cold and was stuffed up with the FFM but the P10 kept my nose clear and I could breath better.

I've never heard of the Doctor Dakota. Sounds like a western movie.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Buying a second mask from your DME will cost you a lot more than if you bought from an online supplier.
Most online suppliers will offer a 30 trial, but you do pay for shipping if you send the mask back.

Check out the supplier list top of page for a replacement mask, and use Medicare’s replacement schedule for your current mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 10:25 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: How do you involve the DME to maximum effect and minimal dollars in purchasing a second mask?

Wait until three months after you got your last mask and tell them you want to try a different mask. Go in for a fitting and get it instead of getting a replacement for your old one. The co-pay is the same either way.

I've done this with all my supplies and have a stash of extra everything -- hoses, filters, masks, cushions, water tanks, etc.

I even have two back up machines! One for travelling and one for use on car batteries during outages or car trips.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 11:31 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Buying a second mask from your DME will cost you a lot more than if you bought from an online supplier.
Most online suppliers will offer a 30 trial, but you do pay for shipping if you send the mask back.

Check out the supplier list top of page for a replacement mask, and use Medicare’s replacement schedule for your current mask.

You have confirmed my idea of ordering a second mask from a supplier and taking advantage of the 30 day trial if necessary. I would not have bought a second mask from the DME since I seem to have the DME from hell, but I did think of swapping the P10 at the DME for an FFM and then buying a P10 on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 11:33 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 10:25 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: How do you involve the DME to maximum effect and minimal dollars in purchasing a second mask?

Wait until three months after you got your last mask and tell them you want to try a different mask. Go in for a fitting and get it instead of getting a replacement for your old one. The co-pay is the same either way.

I've done this with all my supplies and have a stash of extra everything -- hoses, filters, masks, cushions, water tanks, etc.

I even have two back up machines! One for travelling and one for use on car batteries during outages or car trips.

Now there’s a thought... wait till I’m due for a new mask and get a different one. I hadn’t realized I could get a different mask at that time and not just a replica of my old one.

Heck, I could change back and forth between 2 masks every 3 months, and, since I’m super-nice to equipment of any kind, I’d probably have enough supplies...
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are in your 30-day trial period, I'd get a new one from the DME now. Then re-order the more expensive one through the DME.

For chin issues, perhaps a mask that fits underneath the chin like the Innomed Aspen? There are other brands too - not sure what your DME might carry.

Btw, the DME may not require the return of your first mask. Mine didn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 12:27 PM)kiwii Wrote: Since you are in your 30-day trial period, I'd get a new one from the DME now. Then re-order the more expensive one through the DME.

For chin issues, perhaps a mask that fits underneath the chin like the Innomed Aspen? There are other brands too - not sure what your DME might carry.

Btw, the DME may not require the return of your first mask. Mine didn't.

Turns out, my DME will only let you swap in 30 days for the same type of mask, so I can’t swap the P10 for an FFM during the trial period.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like baloney to me. If you have some heretofore unknown physiological reason that you cannot wear the nasal mask, then they must comply. You've only just discovered this anomaly. What's a girl to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Heck, weren't you saying that you cannot keep your mouth closed? That sounds like a good enough reason to require... REQUIRE.. a FFM. If they do not comply, they are forcing you to be unable to use your machine. grrrr.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 408 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.