Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
RE: Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
I looked up the Dr. Dakota Snoring Stop. A cervical collar is cheaper. Take some duct tape and stick a rolled up sock on the collar you have now. If it works, then you can make it better.

However, if you have ANY neck issues, don't do that.

I use a Simplus and a Nuance. I get the Nuance parts from the local folks and just get the Simplus cushion from online. That's what I like about the Simplus - I just need a new cushion, not an entire new headgear. I used my DME to help determine which FFM would work for me then them to get the first one. After that, I told them I was going back to the Nuance.

I've not had to use the Simplus in a long time because I stopped lip leaking.

And you will find that the nasal pillows are better for when you have congestion than a FFM is. That's what i discovered. I was quite surprised at how clogged I stayed all night, waking up often, when I used the FFM with a cold. Switched to the Nuance the next night, just as congested, but it pushes it out of the way better and I didn't wake up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP prescription says "Mask of Choice," you should be able to try whatever mask you want when it's time to get your supplies.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Halfasleep,
I have and use a DR Dakota, and sometimes switch it with a cervical collar.  I started the Dr Dakota because I thought the Cervical collar was bothering the back of my neck. As it turns out, it wasn't. I can use them interchangeably and both work well to keep my jaw closed. The Dr. Dakota has a nice wide shelf to rest you chin on, and I find I can keep it looser around my neck and still make it work.
Best regards,

Analog
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 01:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I looked up the Dr. Dakota Snoring Stop. A cervical collar is cheaper. Take some duct tape and stick a rolled up sock on the collar you  have now. If it works, then you can make it better.

However, if you have ANY neck issues, don't do that.

I use a Simplus and a Nuance. I get the Nuance parts from the local folks and just get the Simplus cushion from online. That's what I like about the Simplus - I just need a new cushion, not an entire new headgear. I used my DME to help determine which FFM would work for me then them to get the first one. After that, I told them I was going back to the Nuance.

I've not had to use the Simplus in a long time because I stopped lip leaking.

And you will find that the nasal pillows are better for when  you have congestion than a FFM is. That's what i discovered. I was quite surprised at how clogged I stayed all night, waking up often, when I used the FFM with a cold. Switched to the Nuance the next night, just as congested, but it pushes it out of the way better and I didn't wake up.

Thanks, Paula... That’s a great idea on adapting the collar under the chin. I would start jury-rigging right now, except...the back of the cervical collar puts my neck in an awkward position when I lie down. Plus, last night it was pushing up the straps for my mask.

Great input on masks and your experience. A strategy is starting to formulate in my brain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 02:44 PM):thanks:analog Wrote: Halfasleep,
I have and use a DR Dakota, and sometimes switch it with a cervical collar.  I started the Dr Dakota because I thought the Cervical collar was bothering the back of my neck. As it turns out, it wasn't. I can use them interchangeably and both work well to keep my jaw closed. The Dr. Dakota has a nice wide shelf to rest you chin on, and I find I can keep it looser around my neck and still make it work.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Why aren't you using a chin strap? The Ruby I have is adjustable. Seems as though that would be a better option than bending your neck backward.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2,
Not sure about Halfasleep, I for one could not make a chinstrap work. Even with a Simplus FFM, when my jaw opens it causes leaks. Also, the chinstrap distorted the shape of my cheeks right where the FFM sits causing leaks.
Best regards,

Analog
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 06:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Why aren't you using a chin strap? The Ruby I have is adjustable. Seems as though that would be a better option than bending your neck backward.

Sleeping is complicated for me...

I don’t want to jam my jaws together: I have really bad TMJ.

I have tried a custom nightguard. I’ve chewed through several and broke my front teeth on the last one. Yes, I have a big rectangular notch to match the shape of the nightguard.

I have surgical pins in the middle of my jawline. Ouch.

I have neurological issues in my neck from getting old.

Necks are supposed to have a backward curve. I have a pillow designed to support that position.

I can’t sleep on my side because I crushed my ribs doing so. Seriously: 2 visits to the ER and frantic ER docs. Surgery.....

Still, I’m pretty confident I can make this work, though I might have to settle for some minor leakage.

I need to keep my cheek muscles relaxed, but with my mouth closed. I think this is do-able, but challenging. I plan to get this mostly worked out before I start posting SleepyHead data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buy from an online supplier with a 30 day return option (be SURE to read the details so you don't get stuck with a mask you ultimately don't want). If you are unsure what to get, contact the supplier and have them help you figure out which one to start with due to your jaw issues.

Once you have a full-face mask that works for you, in order to get cushions or the occasional mask from the DME, you have to go in to get fitted. Then make sure that they have BOTH masks listed so that you can alternate.

According to my former DME, very few of their clients use two different style masks. You just have to make sure that both are listed and then alternate once in a while so that you have enough backup cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 01:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And you will find that the nasal pillows are better for when  you have congestion than a FFM is. That's what i discovered. I was quite surprised at how clogged I stayed all night, waking up often, when I used the FFM with a cold. Switched to the Nuance the next night, just as congested, but it pushes it out of the way better and I didn't wake up.

Yup.  My sinuses are completely shut down from allergies most nights when I go to bed.  It's amazing how quickly they open up when the VAUTO pumps the nasal pillow volume up to 11.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.