Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
RE: Owning two masks: what’s your strategy?
Don't let the mask stop you from posting sleepyhead charts. You can still get good input on your pressures with or without the leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2017, 05:34 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Don't let the mask stop you from posting sleepyhead charts. You can still get good input on your pressures with or without the leaks.

Thanks for your input. I really value everyone’s help.

Right now, I just have too much to work with to get into SleepyHead, plus the SD card reader I ordered proved defective.

I evidently need to tackle this project inch by inch. Last night, I used a rolled-up towel to prop my chin closed. It worked, but I had to keep pushing the towel back into position. Tonight, I might try two hand towels rolled up into a hospital sock or half a roll of toilet paper. A standard cervical collar is too bulky behind my neck.

My AHI’s are down a bunch from when I started, so I’m headed in the right direction.

I’ve become very wheezy and dead tired, and I’ve lost my voice. The day after I started CPAP. I will probably just wait for my compliance meeting at 30 days before I make any changes to my settings. Then I won’t have to deal with doctor fuss. With that plan SleepyHead is moot for another 3 weeks.

I have no special reason to hurry. Slow, slow, slow for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2017, 07:50 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Last night, I used a rolled-up towel to prop my chin closed. It worked, but I had to keep pushing the towel back into position. Tonight, I might try two hand towels rolled up into a hospital sock or half a roll of toilet paper. A standard cervical collar is too bulky behind my neck.

That is what I'm doing too! I haven't had any problem with the positioning though, and mine is more for alignment rather than closure. I found that I had more obstructions when wearing the collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2017, 08:02 PM)kiwii Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 07:50 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Last night, I used a rolled-up towel to prop my chin closed. It worked, but I had to keep pushing the towel back into position. Tonight, I might try two hand towels rolled up into a hospital sock or half a roll of toilet paper. A standard cervical collar is too bulky behind my neck.

That is what I'm doing too! I haven't had any problem with the positioning though, and mine is more for alignment rather than closure. I found that I had more obstructions when wearing the collar.

Agreed. For me, the cervical collar created all kinds of issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered a buckwheat pillow? They seem a bit pricey, but can be fitted precisely to your needs.

Gads, I've just convinced myself and placed an order. Bigwink  Wound up with the ComfyComfy brand. If you sign up for their newsletter, the confirmation email includes a 10% discount and US standard shipping is free. Their Canadian branch has slightly different offerings, but do not ship to the US.

If you do a youtube search for "ComfyComfy buckwheat pillow" the first hit is the owner giving a demonstration of the different options. Best wishes (to all of us newbies) for getting settled in with your/our new therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2017, 06:13 AM)kiwii Wrote: Have you considered a buckwheat pillow? They seem a bit pricey, but can be fitted precisely to your needs.

Gads, I've just convinced myself and placed an order. Bigwink  Wound up with the ComfyComfy brand. If you sign up for their newsletter, the confirmation email includes a 10% discount and US standard shipping is free. Their Canadian branch has slightly different offerings, but do not ship to the US.

If you do a youtube search for "ComfyComfy buckwheat pillow" the first hit is the owner giving a demonstration of the different options. Best wishes (to all of us newbies) for getting settled in with your/our new therapy!

Those look great. Actually, I have a good head pillow already, but I also have one of those delicious neck thingies you warm in the microwave. I gave it to myself as a Christmas gift. You’ve made me look at it in the hopes I could wear it backwards as a chin support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another option for those of you who don’t like the feel of the soft cervical collar at the back of your neck.

Sometimes I use a small crescent  shaped neck pillow. These are specifically made for toddlers.

It is small enough to place in "front" of my neck, and only wraps around to the sides. It sort of hugs my neck and seldom moves. If I turn over, it stays with me with little adjustment. Also has a nice wide place in front to rest your chin.

[Image: RcD0zovl.png]
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hiya

Quote........A standard cervical collar is too bulky behind my neck......unquote

The cervical collar I have does not go behind my neck. I got a small size so only the velcro bit goes behind at my neck so I do not sleep on the fat bit but the 2cm high velcro strip.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang. You all have reminded me of a lavender-filled neck wrap that I bought a few months ago and meant to try for this purpose. sigh. Wish I'd remembered before making that buckwheat pillow purchase. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2017, 08:16 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Here is another option for those of you who don’t like the feel of the soft cervical collar at the back of your neck.

Sometimes I use a small crescent  shaped neck pillow. These are specifically made for toddlers.

It is small enough to place in "front" of my neck, and only wraps around to the sides. It sort of hugs my neck and seldom moves. If I turn over, it stays with me with little adjustment. Also has a nice wide place in front to rest your chin.

[Image: RcD0zovl.png]

I recognize the hot pink. I checked this out in the store baby department today. I might just give this one a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 348 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 456 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.