Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximeter Normal Graph
Oximeter Normal Graph
Hello, I'm a new member here. Getting a sleep study done in the next couple weeks and hoping to get some better sleep because of it!

This question is mainly out of my own curiosity, but I haven't been able to locate a "normal" oximeter reading example to compare mine to. Does anyone know what a normal overnight reading would look like? A doctor hasn't reviewed mine in detail yet, I started tracking it on my own after some research into my symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximeter Normal Graph
Hi shermantank45,

Welcome

What is your average value? Most oximeters will record low spikes (outliers or artifacts) if you move your hand fast or they are bumped so the lowest value recorded may not be accurate. My understanding is anything 95% or above is good and you need to mention to your doctor is it's 89% or less. The 90% to 94% is a gray area.

That's the best that I can offer you. Good luck with your sleep study!

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My average for last night was 90.81%, which seems to be on the low end. My lows are in the upper 60's about 4 times and I oscillated between upper 70's - 95 for a good 5 hours out of 8 last night. The upper swings being about 15-30 seconds apart.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi shermantank45,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you at your sleep study.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I think we can guess the results of your sleep study. Welcome to our Exclusive Club!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2016, 04:00 PM)shermantank45 Wrote: My average for last night was 90.81%, which seems to be on the low end. My lows are in the upper 60's about 4 times and I oscillated between upper 70's - 95 for a good 5 hours out of 8 last night. The upper swings being about 15-30 seconds apart.

Thanks!

If the low is not an artifact, then it is cause for concern.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh. justMongo, that was not even my lowest, just lowest last night. I have been down to 53% before. I don't think it's a fluke as there's a definite downward and upward motion: 95-70-87-65-80-59-75-53 and back up stair step like that.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I started tracking stuff because I've been feeling worse the past few months, tired all the time, confused, forgetful and generally not well. I'm only 29 years old, was exposed to some toxic inhalants (unidentified) in Iraq during a deployment with the Army. Came home and couldn't pass a fitness test, they diagnosed me with constrictive bronchiolitis in 2010. Apnea hasn't even been on the radar, despite complaining of waking up feeling like I haven't slept. I went to a civilian doctor and started tracking my oximetry a week ago. I'm really hoping the CPAP helps my overall well being, tired of being tired!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not already done so, I'd alert your doctor to these oximeter readings now. They may be able to expedite your sleep test. Some of those readings are pretty low.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does that happen when you're awake, say watching TV or reading?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll let my doc know tomorrow, had no concept of the severity I guess.

Lowest it's ever been awake was while testing my limits, ran until I couldn't, got to 78%. General TV watching and such it hovers between 93-95% usually. Consistently drops 2 points when I lay down, which is interesting.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 64 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 132 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 658 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 242 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 2 327 01-01-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 275 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.